• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Specialized/heavy haul transport freight.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I'm back, after a LOOOOONG season of propane relocation engineering in the northeast.

Now I'm diving back in head first into another lowbed/long haul/oversize transport season with a new outfit. I'll have an 8 axle setup with a stinger.

As I will be starting full time in a week or thereabouts, I have been snooping around various websites and loadboard services to determine the amount of RGN and lowbed freight moving around this great country.

The results are quite sureal. There's only a few loads available for RGN's in and around the northeast, going anywhere...Last year at this time, I was busier than a one legged sack runner in a butt kicking contest. This season, it's looking quiet to say the least.

I'll be aggressively searching out all options to keep an 8 axle rig moving around. Any of the existing heavy haulers that have a good suggestion for steady or occasional loads either through a decent broker, equipment dealers or otherwise, please lend your input.

Again, I've been out of the loop for 12 months, and things have changed. In all reality though, there's plenty of Military and other types of equipment getting moved every day, it's a matter of being selective in who you do it with currently. The rates seem to be absolutely ridiculous currently too.

Thanks for any information.

bill onthehill

welcome back lowboy. Have been wondering what became of you and your interesting posts. Moving big stuff should pick up if they get some of the highway projects moving soon.

JDOFMEMI

No help here, but glad to see you back. We will be looking forward to your road trip updates.

Good Luck

LowBoy

Occupation
Shooot, I don't get this warm of a welcome from my own wife after being gone a couple days...:D Thanx for making me feel impotent.

Not to worry...I'll take plenty of pics once I get rolling again.

Squizzy; It's USUALLY "busier than a one armed paper hanger with jock itch"...:rolleyes::drinkup
And at the same token, colder than a well digger's ankles to boot!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Shooot, I don't get this warm of a welcome from my own wife after being gone a couple days...:D Thanx for making me feel impotent.

Now that's dang funny. :D
I hope things work out well for you and you get "busier than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs! ;)

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od

Not to worry...I'll take plenty of pics once I get rolling again.

Squizzy; It's USUALLY "busier than a one armed paper hanger with jock itch"...:rolleyes::drinkup
And at the same token, colder than a well digger's ankles to boot!

Glad to see your kicking there Lowboy, I enjoy you travels and (mis)adventures :rolleyes: :D as well.

I hope your boss isn't "meaner than a burlap bag full o' bobcats" and your "busier than a one legged man in a (family freindly edit here) butt kicking contest. Be safe and keep the wheels on the bottom side.

LowBoy

Occupation
Thanks guys. Now the really unfortunate news is, this new job comes with one of them there fancy knee-top computers, and some fancy "air card" that they were telling me about. First I ever heard of such a thing. An AIR CARD... Sounds as if I need air for any reason...I can access it right from that fancy knee-top computer machine. Talk about having everything you need right at your fingertips (or at the kneecaps in my case.) I hope there's enough hose going from the fancy knee-top computer machine to reach to the back of the lowbed to blow those tires up way back there with that setup. I'm thinking there must be a really thin, small compressor built into that knee-top to make all that air. Them people over there in Japan really got some know how to do something like this here.

Once I get the air function figured out, then they tell me I can take pictures of stuff, hook a wire from the camera to the machine and it'll suck all the pictures out from inside the camera into the computer somehow, and they'll show up right here...Huuuuh. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

On a serious note, all went well with my meeting today with new employer. I brought a buddy of mine with me and he got a job as well! Starting all this in 2 weeks. The truck I'll have they're going to sandblast and repaint the frame and suspension, and do a couple of things to it to make it nice, then we'll hit it hard. I just hope there's some iron for me to move around. It's a tad bit quiet out there from what I'm seeing and hearing...

Dualie

The only ones i know doing a damn thing are wind farm transports and military loads

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Glad to hear from ya lowboy. I know my uncle and cuz have stayed busy moving military equipment out of the Oshkosh plant and some other things as well. There is a number of wind farms in the area set to go up so might be somthing there as well, but its not near the green mts. Closer to the Mississippi River.

Trbo