• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Source for JD 401D hydraulic parts?

Aaron Silver

I recently purchased a 1982 John Deere 401D TLB and one of the hydraulic cylinders to swing the backhoe was leaking. It looks like the piston is bent a bit, and the nut/guide that the seals sit in and the piston rides through was damaged during removal.
The part number for the guide is R80920 and the part for the piston/cylinder is AT46829. I'm attaching the diagram and parts list below.

I'm wondering if anyone knows someone who has a swing cylinder for sale, or has the parts on a shelf, or some other solution. I've got a bunch of feelers out, but so far I don't have anything solid other than a tractor shaped lawn ornament at the moment. :)
deere-parts05302018123727-jpg.182051

Thanks,

Aaron

Attachments

• DEERE PARTS05302018123727.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49

Delmer

How bad are the originals? sometimes they might be rebuildable, that is a pretty short stout rod though, not like it could get a slight bend and not be seriously damaged.

Have you tried a part number search on machinery trader? For the parts and for the whole cylinder. Those parts should be common among a few models of backhoe, and a lot of them are going to the scrap yards at this age.

Tinkerer

AT46829 is the rod only. You said piston and rod. It would be very unusual for a piston to be bent. If it is, there must be damage to the cylinder barrel.
What exactly is the damage to the guide ? That guide is more commonly referred to as a gland. A catastrophe would have to happen to it to cause replacing it. Did you beat the daylights out of it to unscrew it ? Please post a Photo of it.
Hosspuller gave you good advice, take the rod and gland to a competent hydraulic shop.

Aaron Silver

Thank you all for the replies. I'm reaching out to my local hydraulic repair shops currently as well as the sites that folks have listed above. Right now I'm waiting on callbacks/responses.

Yes, the gland was frozen in. We tried everything to get it out (The specific wrench for it, using a jack applying steady pressure to the wrench overnight, heat from a torch, welding things to it to provide a secure connection to torque on, etc). Finally the only thing that worked was using an air-chisel to get it moving. I'm hoping that if we can't find a replacement for the gland that what we've got left will be enough for a machine shop to get the measurements to fabricate a replacement.

I believe that the rod (I thought piston was the proper term, but didn't realize that there was a separate part called a piston in the specs) was bent prior to the removal, which we believe is why the seals were leaking like a sieve.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Aaron

Aaron Silver

Tinkerer: Thanks for the link to the thread... That is one idea we didn't try! I'll be adding that idea to my toolbox.

Aaron