• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Someone Had a bad day!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Apologize for poor picture quality taken on cheap cell phone and forwarded twice to other cheap phones!

tippsy dozer.jpg

Story is truck driver was told to pick up JD Dozer on the side of Interstate where road had just been resurfaced. No lane closure to make it easy and he did not want to chance damage to shoulder from the track. He decided to put blocking next to lowboy and load from the side. Just as He started to get on the trailer the dirt under the blocking gave out and block sunk in and that's all she wrote! No real damage, fluid spill or injury but not sure what the outcome will be. Mandatory pee pee test. They did get an excavator just down the road on the project to tip it back up and put it on the trailer.

Delmer

What? he didn't have any chains and binders, or ratchet straps?

kshansen

Occupation
This happened as he was trying to get on the bed of trailer not while moving the truck after loading.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
You gotta watch that clutch, it's a little tricky !

jwith68

2 things will be required here for the driver, as previous posters have pointed out: pee test, and new pair of underwear.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Was the lowboy on the ground? I'm just surprised that it didn't just pull itself up on the trailer. The shoulder of the road isn't even that steep.

lantraxco

Good thing it had a sturdy ROPS canopy... used to be way too common to hear of a farmer killed loading a small direct drive dozer or row crop tractor on a trailer. The clutches on those old dogs were always a bit iffy, one mistake and over she'd come flat on her back.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
your thinking detachable lowbed... I'm thinking he tried loading onto a step deck or a tag trailer over the side. Either way, hanes and levi both had some emergency purchases that afternoon.

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Yeah Nige, I seen the rest of those photos. It was not pretty. I seen a bad one in Germany some 40 years ago when in the military. A guy was loading a D-7 on an icy trailer. It was like a skating rink on the floor of that low boy. A first Lieutenant was standing close and when he got a blood bath he lost his stomach right away. It was a very bad deal. No ROPs on anything back then either.

kshansen

Occupation
And if the tractor doesn't have a ROPS this is what can happen............... I'm not showing some of the more graphic images, but there is a body under that tractor.
]

Nige I'm going to print out that picture for our Monday morning safety meeting. Hope to never be around for something like that!

lantraxco

Brand new machine with no ROPS and no blade, what the heck were they thinking trying to load or unload it over the tail?????????? :badidea