• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some photos from an apprentice

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Here are a few pictures of the front crankshaft seal I had to change out.

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

It turns out the rad was also leaking and had broken free of it's frame. All of the spot welds holding the core in place had busted free. The machine was being used a bit north of us, putting in some roads. The hammer can certainly do some damage.
IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

I used a slide hammer to remove the seal. Worked great!
IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
We had a 416c come back to us with stalling issues. Here's what I found in the fuel tank.

Thats a chunk of wood with some sand and small rocks
IMG_5165.JPG

Some tape and a mystery o-ring.
IMG_5168.JPG

I forgot to take a picture of it, but when I first opened the fuel tank drain no fuel came out. This was because of a build up of sand and rocks. Most of it came out with the diesel.

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Are you still with Clearway?

I had completely forgotten about this post! I should update it.

I am still with Clearway, although now my schooling is complete. I've been full time with them since August, and its been an exciting year. We're very busy!

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Might as well post a few more pictures.

First picture here is of a tented 365C. I decided that during Hurricane Sandy, it was the perfect time to change out the swing pump. I changed it out because the machine had a habit of not swinging in the morning, and it had to be broken free, as if it was binding or frozen(made a hell of a grinding noise). I chased this down to an internal issue in the pump.
IMG_5478.JPG

The next two pictures are again during Hurricane Sandy...It was just a rainstorm here...and they are of the 385B. Several of the exhaust manifold bolts had broken! It was an extremely tedious activity, but we got them all out. I did make the mistake of using the wrong bolts to hold the turbo onto the manifold, which eventually worked its way loose and started dumping some exhaust where it shouldn't have. Live and learn, I suppose.
IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

Next we have a CP-563C. I've really taken a shine to compactors in general, and I think they are second to excavators for me, when it comes to what machines I prefer to work on.

Anywho, I received a complaint of no drive, and no vibe. After I checked the electrical system, I popped the vibration pump off and gave it a quick crank and saw that the shaft was not spinning.
IMG_5484.JPG

Low and behold, a majority of the teeth on the pump drive had been stripped right off!
IMG_5485.JPG

On a side note, I responded to this compactor recently because its drum was only moving in the forward direction. The feedback lever of the drums propel pump had come loose from the servo valves pivot pin. That took me a bit to figure out!

I love these machines!

Have a good day!

Diagonal Brace

I'm not certain if it is or not. I've never had the fuel level assembly out of a backhoe before. It was a piece of wood though, that I'm sure of.

I was thinking more of the external type. You know "Has that machine beeen fueled up?" "I dont know the guage doesnt work" " Well check it with a stick or something" Hahaha

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Well, Four years later and I'm working for a dealership now in Northern Alberta. I've made it through the "oil slump" (so far) and seem to be going strong. The work is constant, dynamic, and can certainly be difficult. The different aspects between working for a contractor, and for a dealership has its troubles for me, but the training, benefits and money is good! I've got lots of pictures of different jobs, so I think I'll post some tonight after work. I'm mid - long block currently, so I should get back to it.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Well, Four years later and I'm working for a dealership now in Northern Alberta. I've made it through the "oil slump" (so far) and seem to be going strong. The work is constant, dynamic, and can certainly be difficult. The different aspects between working for a contractor, and for a dealership has its troubles for me, but the training, benefits and money is good! I've got lots of pictures of different jobs, so I think I'll post some tonight after work. I'm mid - long block currently, so I should get back to it.

Cool thread! Wherabouts in Northern Alberta? I've been wrenching up in the Sands for 8 years so far.