• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some of Wingnuts equipment

wingnut

Occupation
owner of a small sand gravel backhoe and dozer ser
This one is my TD-9 and my single axle trailer.
Jessicas camera 005.jpg

wingnut

Occupation
more of wingnut equipment

This is my Dump truck and backhoe trailer that I am fixing up.

Jessicas camera 007.jpg

This is my D7 Cat that I am going to soon get fixed up to do large jobs.[Jessicas camera 008.jpg
Jessicas camera 009.jpg

wingnut

Occupation
Hi dieseldave, its a D-7 .... What I like about it is that it has a pivot blade so that it can swing from left to right for different jobs ... unfortunally , The engine siezed up before I could even get it unloaded off the trailer that I hired to deliever it :cussing I did not get but about 15 min. seat time on it but I hope that will change in the near future

hvy 1ton

Wingnut i believe that dave is referring to the first 3 digits of the serial number on your D7. 17a, 2u, 46a? are there own series of machine, I believe the 2u and 46a are both d8s, but old cats aren't thing. There cool and everything, but most of them pre-date me by a large margin. :D

dieseldave

Seized up... that doesn't sound good:Banghead Did it have good oil pressure? By "17A" I mean what is the prefix of the serial number? It's on a tag on the back of the machine (in the circle in my pic) and also on the side of the engine. This will tell what series D7 it is. Looks like a 17A to me, which would make it a D7C- equipped with a non-turbo D339 engine, direct drive and an oil clutch. Is it pony start or direct electric?

Attachments

• D7 serial0001.JPG
    D7 serial0001.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,528

wingnut

Occupation
Hi KoO , hvy 1 ton , and dieseldave , The D-7 is a 1959 model with turbo and a pony motor . I will check the serial number in the morning and see what it reads and post it then . Yea , I wanted to pull my hair out when it did what it did and locked up ! Man I was mad as he!! . I got it home and cranked it up , checked the water and saw it was low , so I got some water and put some in it and thats when all the trouble started . Water started comming out of the water pump and then the heads , then just locked up right on the trailer .. Had to hire a farmer down the road to come and drag it off the trailer with his BIG farm tractor , (at that time I didnt have the TD-9 going , it was still in peices " basket case" ) so I could get the driver of the 18 wheeler on his way. I would like to change it over to electric starter when I get it running again , any advice towards that ? Can it be done with out costing a fortune ?
Thanks, Wingnut

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Hey Wingnut !!!
If your old D7 is a 17A series you have one hell of a dozer there I drove one in the bush here in australia on logs and it was just terrific !!!
All the best with it mate !!
Peter Kennedy

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I had a C-50 from 1975-84 and the 84-to present. I have been looking at the same dash board and body style for 34 years:Banghead What year is the truck?

dieseldave

1959 with a turbo would make it a D7D, a late model 17A. As Peter says, a very, very good machine, and one of the sweetest-sounding ever made. Sounds like it hydrolocked on you. When you say "water came out of the heads" do you mean at the headgasket?

wingnut

Occupation
Hi Peter Kennedy , Speedpup , and dieseldave . I went out and took a look at where deiseldave told me to look for the serial numbers at and it is a 17A just as yall had said , I learn somthing new everyday ! I am just getting in to heavy equipment as far owning them for myself and opperating them , and as you can tell I got a lot to learn and am hoping you guys will teach me as I get along . I will be throwing more pics. at you guys tomorrow (hopefully) of some engine shots, an old winch truck that I used while I was in the scapping bizz , and other things (even got the serial number on the the D7 and a dash shot on the C-60 for speedpup):D
Speedpup, I got a couple of closer shots of the trailer , and axel , tires and wheels if you would like to see . The trailer you asked me about has no tonnage cap. on it so , I was just going by with what I felt safe with and what the tires could carry and still be in the safe zone . The guy I got the tilt-bed trailer from said it yousta carry a large tracked ditchwitch on it that weighed about 6 tons and he hauled it with out a problem :beatsme , so I bought it knowing that my TD-9 only weighed 7.5 tons and thought I would take a chance . (only $500.00 and money well spent) does well !:woohoo

Speedpup , The dumptruck is a 1977 with a 350 small block 5 speed with a 2 speed rear . Great truck

DieselDave, Yea you hit the nail on the head about water comming out of the gaskets :Banghead
I got this cat from some friends of mine after they had loaned it to a church to do some work and the maintance man told me it was in good working order and didnt need anything but opperating ....... WRONG....... looks like I will be doing a in-frame overhaul on it unless I can save it ! But I think I have let it set to long with out doing anything to it ... Its prob. gonna need a new set of liners , pistons , ect.. ect... before its gonna be pushing anything again ...

At this time I am looking at rebuilding the 282 in the TD-9 or replacing it with another engine as soon as I get my in-come tax in . Already starting to line up some more jobs for it . Cant wait to do some pushing again with it .

Peter Kennedy, I think you are right about being thrilled with it, Just the time that I did get to listen to it and tinker with it ( 15-20 min. ) it sounded like it was gonna be a power house !!! Just the sound of the power comming from the engine was awesome , and just knowing of what it was capiable (spelling?) of was just priceless ! I am gonna get it going in the near future I hope !!!

Later guys , Wingnut

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
My 75 C-50 had a 350 with a 5 speed and no two speed rear. I do have a two speed rear in my 84 and it has a 366 big block in it. You can still get parts for them. I have a new hood at home and a new door I bought. The hood had some rot so I bought a new on then just bondoed the old one. The door on one side had some rot because years ago I slammed it HARD and the glass shattered and lay in the door for year and blocked ater drained. I just bondoed that two. One day when things are better I want to repait the entire truck like I did in about 1990. I'll have to take a picture and post it.

I had to put a new gas tank, radiator, and emmisiion tubes as they rotted off. I have yanked 65,000 lb. down the road with the 366. Lucky Long Island is flat.:pointhead

wingnut

Occupation
Hi speedpup , WOW !!! 65,000lb .. Thats incredable !!! I have been thinking of putting in my 396 BB out of my 1 ton pole truck into my dump truck to get a little more torque to pull my dozer (TD9) and backhoe around a little easier .

larrys pics 025.jpg

This 396 came out of a 68 ss chevelle and has tons of power and torque ... Its 0.60 over and has a mild cam in it. It sure will pull a load !!!!

wingnut

Occupation
Hi guys, here is a shot of the serial number on the cat I was telling yall about .

larrys pics 005.jpg

17A15728
It was a 17A like yall thought. I am needing some more info from you guys to find out what size engine it has ... Where can I find that info. at or is it a D339 but WITH a turbo? I am just trying to learn as much as possible , bare with me if you can ...
Thanks, Wingnut

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
WATCH them BB Chevy's! In this kind of application they have a tendency to self destruct! Keep the rev's below 4k and there should be no problem!

dieseldave

Hi guys, here is a shot of the serial number on the cat I was telling yall about .

17A15728
It was a 17A like yall thought. I am needing some more info from you guys to find out what size engine it has ... Where can I find that info. at or is it a D339 but WITH a turbo? I am just trying to learn as much as possible , bare with me if you can ...
Thanks, Wingnut

It's a turbo D339. 5.75" x 8", 831 cubic inches, 140hp. Now that you have the serial # of the machine it would be a good idea to get some manuals for it- a Service manual for the engine, a Service manual for the tractor, an Operators manual, and a Parts manual. Ebay is the place to go for those, most likely. Here's an example of a parts book on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Caterpilla...QQptZBI_Books_Manuals?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
I'm not suggesting that you buy this one- seems pretty expensive to me- but it will give you an idea of what to look for.

wingnut

Occupation
Hi rino , Thanks for the warning , I will keep that in mind ...

Hi dieseldave , Thanks for the info. , Man thats a lot of cubes, No wonder that cat sounded so powerfull !

larrys pics2 005.jpg