• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

socket set holders

Randy88

What does everyone else use for organizing socket sets to carry around outside the tool box. I've tried the plastic tray peg versions, which were nice until they break, and was thinking about making something, with a peg for each socket so I knew what one was missing, but haven't come up with a good idea as of yet, what do you guys use, not only for sockets but also ratchets, extensions and universals to keep everything organized.

BillG

For 1/4 and 3/8 I use flexible socket holder 5513A312 from McMaster Carr. Then I put them along with my flex ratchet and extensions in Klein zippered bags http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Zipper-Bags-4-Pack-5140/100647867#.UdcBq1OruU0 .I also keep my smaller wrenches up to 7/8 and screwdrivers, special tools and test equipment in them. The nice thing about them is, if you number them you can take a quick inventory at the truck before closing up. Also I can grab what I think (dangerous) I will need before I climb up on a machine. The flexible socket holders are made out of polyurethane so the don't slide off the hood and end up somewhere you can't reach. For the 1/2" sockets I like Matco tools http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MLAS50/1-2-DRIVE-LOCK-A-SOCKET-RAIL/ they keep the sockets locked on until you turn them 90 degrees. Of course for the 3/4 and 1" drives I keep them in their own steel box.

bigshow

Those 90 deg. locking ones are worth their weight in gold, I got a bunch of the Craftsman ones for 3/8" and 1/2", Wouldn't have it any other way.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
i second that willie59, as for the 90 degree lockers i broke them in my rollaway chest never tried them in the truck i am sure they would break 10x's as fast there, i'v always wanted to take all my sockets to a guy with a flow-jet and have him cut socket size holes in a sheet of like 1" thick uhmw and then laminated a sheet of that magnetic board on the bottom, then cut the outside so it would fit in my service truck tray just about tight.............theironoracle

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey, whatever works and suits your needs theironoracle. :cool:

Myself, working out of service truck in the field, more than once I've had to work on a machine not accessible with the truck, especially the crawler dumpers that I work on. In those cases, I like to be light and portable. I keep my sockets on those racks, and cut short. For example, 3/8 drive SAE, from 3/8" to 3/4" on one rack, only about 6" long. Metric from 10mm to 19mm, rack just slightly longer. Same with 1/4" and 1/2" drive sockets, keep the rack short so it's easy to toss them in a tote, carry them to the machine, and work with them. :)

mitch504

I know I'm already regarded as the country cousin, so I'll admit this: I just use the old steel spring clip socket rails. Good ones have served me well over the years. Cheap ones are useless, with one exception: many years ago I saw a pair of 3/4 drive ones at the flea market, and bought them despite thinking it would be a waste of money. They have lasted about 10 years so far, holding from 7/8 to 1-5/16.

I have a set of the 3/8 ones like Willie has with my specialty sockets on them. I find they work a little too good. I usually have to use a screwdriver to pry them loose, but maybe I wouldn't have to if they held my daily used sockets. They are tough as nails though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I used the steel ones for a long time mitch, they work well in a shop box, and for that matter, work well portable, they do the job. I just find the plastic ones are "just a little better" for all applications. And yes, they do get a little better to remove sockets as you use them and the wear in. ;)

Coondog

There's a company called mechanic time savers, they make some neat things for these applications. There are some socket trays that have plastic sticks poking up, that seem pretty easily breakable, but they actually pretty damn tough. I have been building mine out of steel also so i can stick some bullet magnets on the bottoms and they will stick to what I'm working on. I take my whole set with me though, if it's 3/8 sae, they all go, from 1/4 to 1. I built one of these for my 3/4 drive out of a sheet of 3/16 steel and some 5/8 bolts. Got shallows and deeps on it, from 3/4 to 2. That things heavy, it remains in the truck.

Randy88

Coondog, could you post some photos of your homemade socket holders for us to see.