• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So, what about them Steiger tractors??

D&GExcavating

The 555 motor is considered a lemon by the standards of Cummins, Versatile also produced a 4wd tractor with the 555 motor and called it the 555, it's nickname is the trouble 5.
General advice is to stay away from that motor and stick to the straight 6's or bigger V8 motors, like the 903.
Massey Ferguson made a 4wd tractor with the 903 and it is a legend.

I've heard that the 903 Cummins had bottom end problems. We have a 1979 Cougar 3 and a 1980 Cougar 3 that we use for pulling industrial disks and tandem sheeps foot packers. A couple weeks ago i was pulling a disk with the 1980 which has an NT855C Cummins in it. I let it idle for about 20 minutes over lunch and then i disked with it for about 30 minutes. I shut it down for about 2 hours and then came back and tried to start it up and it would not start. It smoked but wouldn't start. Well i messed around with the solenoid on top of the injector pump and it finally fired up but it had a nast klack in the valve train. So we took the rockerboxes off and pulled all of the pushtubes and didn't find anything. Took it to the local truck shop and they tore her down and found that there were absolutely NO rings left on all 6 pistons. Most of the pistons had huge holes in the sides. They think it was worn out injectors pouring way too much fuel in. So now shes all rebuilt and has almost twice as much power as before.

North Texan

I've heard a lot of things said about the 903. Never have heard it called a "legend".;)

Personally, the 855 was my favorite 4wd engine.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Gday all, just reading the posts and it seems like the Steigers are very good quality machines that do what they are supposed to do, i.e give good hard service with TLC. Just wondering if you can put a Dozer blade on the front of them and a couple of rippers on the back??? Sounds like it has been done before, but wondering on the success of the dozer type conversion?

Is there anything i should look for in particular when looking at these tractors?

cheers

alex :D

FarmerAlex

Occupation
DK Stihl, gday i believe that, that is a Case Steiger, in Australia they are branded as a CASE quad trac tractor, they appear to be identical.

Cheers
Alex :D

DK_stihl

DK Stihl, gday i believe that, that is a Case Steiger, in Australia they are branded as a CASE quad trac tractor, they appear to be identical.

Cheers
Alex :D

Thanks, I knew that though, I was wondering if anyone had seen one painted in that color. They come red usually and this one is painted the retro green color.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Righto, well the only products i have seen rebranded were the Lexion headers, they were under the CAT colour scheme and branding, they now have changed to CLASS. It might be a limited edition model??? I believe CASE now has a HD line of articulateds, this might be a rebranding under the scheme.

Cheerio Alex

icestationzebra

Looks like the real deal judging by the decals. I'd take mine in classic IH red though.

FYI - If you want to spend the $$ you can order your new tractor painted a custom color. (not sure about 4WD's though?) Mostly utilized by highway departments, but when I worked for CaseIH I heard about a farm in Florida that had all of it's equipment painted purple?! :beatsme

ISZ

Last edited:

steigermandrew

I run a 76 panther 325 series 3 with the 3406 cat.. cheap good power, better then any 855 cummins. cant run it out of power and run two days on a tank of fuel, steiger was the forfather for the ford versatile and john deere and international articulating tractors

busy dad

Occupation
Transportation
Not too sure about Steiger being the start , Versatile dates back to he late 60's with some big units also.. Then they were bought by Ford late 80's . sold to Buhler in 2000.. They all have their good / bad points.

busy dad

Occupation
Transportation
Not too sure about Steiger being the start , Versatile dates back to he late 60's with some big units also.. Then they were bought by Ford late 80's . sold to Buhler in 2000.. They all have their good / bad points. Steiger dates into late 50's.

icestationzebra

Versatile is credited as the first company to mass-produce articulated four-wheel drive tractors, starting in 1966 with the D100 and G100 four-wheel drives.

Steiger on the other hand is credited with selling one of the first, if not the first, modern 4WD tractor. The Steigers first built a tractor for their own use in their workshop, then built another and sold it to a neighbor in 1958. In 1963, the Steigers became serious about building tractors and designed a series of units for sale.

John Steiger and his sons, Douglas and Maurice, were successful farmers near Red Lake Falls, Minnesota. They needed a larger tractor in their farming operation that was not available commercially. They built the first STEIGER tractor in their barn on the Steiger farm during the winter of 1957. The first tractor weighed 15,000 pounds, was made mostly from salvaged parts, and was powered by a Detroit 6-71 Diesel Engine. It ran well enough to accumulate 10,000 hours of field time in just 10 years. This tractor is currently displayed in a West Fargo, North Dakota, museum. The second tractor was much smaller and was powered by a 3-71N Detroit Diesel Engine.

During the barn production time frame, approximately 125 tractors were built on the Steiger farm with the help of 20 employees. These tractors were distributed in both the U.S. and Canada. Due to increased demand, Douglas and Maurice Steiger reached an agreement with private businessmen from North Dakota and Minnesota to move production to Fargo, N. D. in 1969. Douglas Steiger served as the chief designer while Maurice Steiger headed production.

During the 70's STEIGER also produced more than 10,000 tractors for Allis-Chalmers, Ford, CCIL's Canadian CO-OP Implement Limited and International Harvester.

The first true AC 4WD would be the 7580 (1977) and 8550 (1978), which were updated with 8000 series sheet metal as the 4W-220 and 4W305 respectively.

ISZ

Last edited: