• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snowblower Tractor- someone plowed into me

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
This post is looking for some advice about tractor valuation.

The short story is I was using my snow blower tractor to clear out the neighbor's drive. I was watching traffic in my northbound lane and I thought I was clear but someone in the southbound lane, in a double yellow no passing zone hit me and bent the back of the tractor causing substantial damage, including to the engine.

The company that owns the truck that hit me is self-insured and they told me to go to three repair shops and get an estimate of repair. Me explaining that it's not like a body shop does this kind of work; it looks like it's going to need a new engine. A 4cylinder 76hp Deutz. The tractor is a '98 Holder C9700H. It was perfect for my needs for snow removal. I'd split the tractor couple years ago and put a new PTO wet clutch in it and has a new ECM and it was running like a top.

So I looked through old posts how to value something and it was one suggestion to post some pictures here... maybe I could get anIMG_20231117_163843591.jpgIMG_20231127_151703905.jpg authentic valuation that could be paid for... I don't know if someone here could do that based on pictures but it's worth a try right.

First picture is the accident scene and the second shows the lower half of the engine cracked. When he hit me my back lights went out but I had the side of the tractor lit up and the back two sets of lights were on as well as the strobe. It was 4:30 in the afternoon and there was still plenty of light and I think he was in a hurry to get back to the shop.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Our shop is often dealing with adjusters on trailer valuations. Most common method is to get online & search For Sale ads for a comparable unit. I suspect that might be a challenge for your equipment. Don't forget about transportation, as a tractor in Minnesota must be transported to AK for it to have value for you. I am apprehensive that your chats with the shop won't be any fun. Based on what you've said, they seem clueless as to what they've destroyed.

MG84

The fact that they said they are “self-insured” makes me a bit leery. That could also mean they have no insurance. I agree you need to hire a lawyer ASAP, I’m guessing the tractor is going to be a total loss, the best you can hope for is to be compensated well for it.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Great advice so far, thanks! I can always count on HEF!
This incident puts me out of the snow blowing business. Now sucks to shift gears to deal with this.
I'm waiting for the report. I had to file a freedom of information request.
I hope that I don't end up on the report as vehicle 1, which I'm told is the party most at fault. I don't see how, since the other guy was over the double yellow and fully in my lane. The other driver wasn't cited because the Trooper said he couldn't see the paint markings on the asphalt. BS
I went to Craig Taylor today and was told if I tow it there they can see about an estimate.
I did a search for Holders and they seem to be uncommon. The Muni of Anchorage used to run them, now they run Trackless. The front PTO is a good setup.
I bet most folks here know that good tractors aren't cheap
/Venting

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I don't know what the value of a Holder is (never heard of it)? Probably not worth as much in money as it is to you. My guess is they will pay you out of it. Hopefully they do try and fix it, since the value likely wont give you enough to replace it, especially in AK.

crane operator

Go on Machinery trader, type in "holder" and about 10 rigs show up. Call and get all the prices, and there's your comparables. Not going to be a lot of them out there, so its going to be hard to get a value.

Looks like 40-$60,000 for the newer ones. I'm sure they most sell specialized to municipalities.

If you had it insured yourself, (which you should have if snow blowing is your "business"), you should be able to turn it into your own insurance, and have them go after the other guys. If you don't have insurance, the other guys aren't the only ones "self- insured". Turn it in- IF you don't think the other guys are going to pay up.

Welder Dave

I'm guessing you had the the rotating beacon and all lights on. If the guy was doing an illegal pass he should be found at fault. It would be different if he was in the near lane and you pulled out in front of him. He could also be charged for undue care and attention and even dangerous driving. How could he not see see you? It's not much different if you were in a vehicle turning onto the near lane. That's why the double line is there. The best you can hope for is replacement value to make you whole. That means the value of your machine not a new replacement. If the frame is OK maybe a new engine and other work could fix it. It's your choice where you take it and it's not likely there would be 3 shops or even 2 you could go to for estimates. I've seen Holders for sale in Ontario. I think they were common with municipalities.

Last edited:

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Figure on picking up something else to use...
I've got another tractor with a tired IH D239 motor, but without a cab. Blowing snow is brutal without a cab.
I can make do with my road grader for now but on these narrow roads that we have back here, there's no snow storage and the blower just comes in real handy.
A 3-point PTO rear pull snowblower, 90" on a tractor that has the horsepower would be ok, maybe. It takes a lot of horsepower to quickly blow a lot of snow.
The Holder at 76 HP or a Trackless at 110HP are great for the job. Both have a front PTO and 3-point.
Here's a link to it blowing on Nancy Lake, AK:

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
I'm guessing you had the the rotating beacon and all lights on. If the guy was doing an illegal pass he should be found at fault. It would be different if he was in the near lane and you pulled out in front of him. He could also be charged for undue care and attention and even dangerous driving. How could he not see see you? The best you can hope for is replacement value to make you whole. That means the value of your machine not a new replacement. If the frame is OK maybe a new engine and other work could fix it. It's your choice where you take it and it's not likely there would be 3 shops or even 2 you could go to for estimates. I've seen Holders for sale in Ontario. I think they were common with municipalities.
Yes. All the lights and beacon were on. And I think you're right that he could be charged for dangerous driving. But for him, since he wasn't cited, he might not lose his job. Lisa tells me that on her commute, she sees a lot of these utility trucks that are in a big ass hurry.
I checked RB auction results and I see some of them went pretty cheap and some of them went pretty expensive... nothing's currently available though.
I'm sure I could get this thing put back together myself but I don't really need another project to work on for free so that I can get back to where I was.

Welder Dave

If there were an issue with them not paying for repairs an perhaps lawyers were involved and, a more thorough investigation, charges could maybe be laid. Maybe you got whiplash or other injuries that took a few days or weeks to really notice. You could have been killed! Just saying. Whether the driver loses his job doesn't matter as long as you get compensated fairly for your loss. You had an ideal machine for a snowblower. There are front mount blowers for tractors with a driveshaft from the PTO going under the tractor.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
My insurance isn't interested. I have $1million but nothing for this as the tractor wasn't insured.
Definitely could have been killed

Reactions: DB2