• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snowblower motor

IceHole

Erskine/Bobcat blower

Motor is puking oil, haven't had time to pull it. Was using it a few weeks ago and suddenly started leaking at the impeller. Guessing shaft seal, but seems odd (very low hrs)

Checked the specs and it's 9.65 cu in (i think) for a high flow machine.

What size motor would I need for a std flow, 20gpm machine?

Does the auger motor need changed too?

It works ok, just slows down and doesn't throw far unless I go really slow, like slower than a walk behind blower slow.

I bought it used from a place I worked for a very good price.

20231211_143128.jpg

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Here's a short list of common gpm to motor size. I'd think a 6.15 ci (105-1072-006) would work a lot better for you.

GPM.....Motor size
16-20....6.2 ci
21-26....8.0 ci
26-31....9.6 ci

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Should be able to look up the specs. for Char Lynn hyd. motors online. I was told they are one of the best hyd. motors for skid steer drive motors and have higher torque than most other brands. You want a good motor on a snowblower. There might be quite a delay to get a new Char Lynn motor if none are in stock though.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic

Good site to calculate torque as related to displacement and psi.
I wonder what psi it runs while effectively blowing snow?
You would have to allow for a loss of torque or a rise in pressure when dropping from a 9.6 to a 6 ci motor.

Welder Dave

You will also need to make sure the motor is rated for both the PSI and GPM you have. I've seen some motors that weren't rated for more than about 900-1200 PSI even though they could take higher flow. Contact Erskine they may have a motor and everything else you need for a standard flow machine. That would probably be easier than trying to figure it out. I would think they have engineers and do product testing to see what works best. The other thing to consider is an aux. oil cooler to help prolong the life of the hyd's. If you were handy with designing things you could probably use some heavy wall pipe or something that was "snow cooled". I know the Alamo Interstater side-mount hyd. flail mowers use heavy wall pipes under the deck and the wind created by the spinning knives cools the hyd. oil.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
The Char Lynn part # I listed before 105-1072-006 is the exact same motor (just in the correct size - 6.2 ci) than the one already on the snowblower. It's the motor that would have been on a new snowblower matched to his machine. It's rated at 3000psi. There really isn't a lot to figure out.

Welder Dave

It would have been easier if you would have said Char Lynn part number 105-1072-006 is the same style motor in 6.15 ci and would work better. Someone not familiar might not know which numbers to use.

IceHole

It would have been easier if you would have said Char Lynn part number 105-1072-006 is the same style motor in 6.15 ci and would work better. Someone not familiar might not know which numbers to use.
??

I ordered one that day from that info, not sure where it was confusing.

Was $550 for aftermarket one. CharLynn was $1500 plus $250 shipping. I paid about that for the whole blower!

Last edited:

IceHole

Good site to calculate torque as related to displacement and psi.
I wonder what psi it runs while effectively blowing snow?
You would have to allow for a loss of torque or a rise in pressure when dropping from a 9.6 to a 6 ci motor.
I suppose I could put a gauge on it.

Worked as it, but didn't throw snow all that far. And when a full load, would barely throw it a width over.

Machine relief is 3300, not sure on blower. Have jammed it a few times with 8"+ rocks.
We picked all the big rocks up this fall but somehow still found several.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My comment was going to be to angle the end of the chute down to keep the dry snow from blowing back on the job, but after watching all of the video I see that you don't have the controller. It doesn't look bad to me for a low flow blower. I have the same blower in high flow. The performance will likely struggle in wetter snow, but all low flow blowers struggle in those conditions.

IceHole

My comment was going to be to angle the end of the chute down to keep the dry snow from blowing back on the job, but after watching all of the video I see that you don't have the controller. It doesn't look bad to me for a low flow blower. I have the same blower in high flow. The performance will likely struggle in wetter snow, but all low flow blowers struggle in those conditions.
It has the controls. Video is from last winter and the 14 pin harness was on back order. Installed it this summer.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Meant to post this the other day. Maybe someone will find it interesting.
It's an excel sheet that will calc snowblower stats for your skid steer.

Blue columns are for entering info. Orange columns are results.
Ultimate goal for good performance is fan tip speeds around 3500 ft/min (green).

1703001758326.png

IceHole

Good info.

I have a 6.2 on its way. The motor on it was puking oil and don't have other reasons (or time) to make my machine high flow.
Will keep the 9.6 motor just in case though.

Is the auger motor the same on the blowers? Just the fan motor is sized for flow?

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Is the auger motor the same on the blowers? Just the fan motor is sized for flow?

I have never seen anything indicating that auger motors are sized different.
All they do is break up snow and feed it toward the center fan.
If the auger is turning, it's working.

If anyone know different, would be great to share.

IceHole

I have never seen anything indicating that auger motors are sized different.
All they do is break up snow and feed it toward the center fan.
If the auger is turning, it's working.

If anyone know different, would be great to share.
Yeah, just figured it'd be sized to complement the fan. Too slow and it's plowing sniw. Too fast and it's overwhelming the fan.