• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snow Removal

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I should have gone with plows instead of snow boxes , they clean up better

I have a few pushers and they work nice. They have the steel cutting edge not the rubber one. I also have 2 double buckets. One has a quick coupler I put on my 966 and the other is on a Trojan 3500Z. They are 2 buckets welded together. I got the idea about 20 years ago. For the 966G I get $225 an hour. A 938 is $175. Ten Wheelers are $85 an hour $95 for a triaxle and $105 for trailer dumps. I was paying $60 a ton for straight salt.

KMSEXC

price question

I have a few pushers and they work nice. They have the steel cutting edge not the rubber one. I also have 2 double buckets. One has a quick coupler I put on my 966 and the other is on a Trojan 3500Z. They are 2 buckets welded together. I got the idea about 20 years ago. For the 966G I get $225 an hour. A 938 is $175. Ten Wheelers are $85 an hour $95 for a triaxle and $105 for trailer dumps. I was paying $60 a ton for straight salt.

Thanks im only getting 125 for 320 komatsu and cat 936 i need to up the price what our you plowing by hr only, Im getting pd per inch i dont really like that idea

Sk187

Do you plow by Inch or yearly contract , what do you get for your loaders per hr if by hr I have same set up i think im to low on price what are you getting per ton salt sand

We are seasonal but I priced the loaders at 150/hr when I did the bid.

Salt you just usually double your per ton price.

If it cost you $45 per ton you apply it at around $80-$90 per ton, at least that's what seems to be fairly standard around here.

KMSEXC

Thanks

If it cost you $45 per ton you apply it at around $80-$90 per ton, at least that's what seems to be fairly standard around here.

Thanks

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Thanks im only getting 125 for 320 komatsu and cat 936 i need to up the price what our you plowing by hr only, Im getting pd per inch i dont really like that idea

One contract is seasonal, the other 2 are by the inch. I like plowing by the inch, because we start hauling snow right after, so we can make good money. I keep an articulated rock truck at the large mall I do. We haul all on site. The city is paying $125 for a backhoe, $130 for a Cat 920 size, $140 for a $930 size, $150 for a 950 size, and $175 for a Cat 966 size.

Those first set of prices are what we get for by the hour to haul snow. To make money you have to plow by the inch. Seasonal contracts are alright if you have a cap on it. The second or third year I had mine I got croaked on it. The contract is unlimited and I have to provide the calcium to the groundskeepers at the office building. They go through 4 pallets a storm at $600 a pallet. I spent $48,000 in bags of calcium one year, when I was getting $125,000 for the whole thing. We plowed 250 hours up there 2 loaders 1 backhoe a pickup and a bobcat. Plus hauling snow. After that I asked them to change the contract and they told me to find somewhere else to plow, so I did, but in January after a few storms they called me and asked me to take over again. Now I can make money whether it snows or not, because of the 48 inch cap they have in the contract now.

Last edited:

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
This winter I plow w/ an S300 Bobcat. Now with the machines having two speed I always have it in the high side which does about 12mph. I bought a 100" snow bucket for it which I must admit I really wanted a plow. But after using the bucket, I now perfer it over the plow. The lots that I do are tighter and usually have plenty of cars left in them to manuever around. We have had record snowfall here this year, so it has been a good one.
I can plow my lots twice as fast with the skidloader over a pick-up. (when getting paid by inch really adds up) I have also found advantages in stacking as well as moving snow as well as baring the lot which has won me a lot of praise by my customers.

Grader4me

We put a lot of wings on loaders. This pic shows one with an endgate that the operator can slam down when they get to a driveway to keep from filling it in. (I wish the government plows in my neighborhood had them!)

Yeah right! Do that and miss all of them one fingered salutes? Come on now:eek:

Nice looking set up...

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums VeePlow! :drinkup

PS.. I can't for the life of me figure out how to link this as an image?

You won't be able to link to a picture. You'll have to upload the picture with the Attachment Manager in your reply. Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures.

PS: Do you have a normal size picture of the machine in your avatar. :D

VeePlow

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums VeePlow! :drinkup
PS: Do you have a normal size picture of the machine in your avatar. :D

Thanks Countryboy, I think that feature must be turned off for the first few posts. I've got the "attachment manager" option now, Thanks!

I've had a few people asking about my avatar, I've put up som more pics in the forestry forum.

Cheers,
VP

grassmanvt

This caught my attention because right now, when its available (extreme demand in the northeast this year) its up to $84 a ton last I got some. $70 a ton for 15 ton or more at one time. Went up 20% mid winter.

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
The last time I was in Ontario Canada, saw lots of John Deere 544 and JCB 426BZX wheel loaders fitted with either rubber-edged blades or rotary brushes for snow removal - but Toronto airport had a really nice Cat 966D loader fitted with a really cool long blade:

http://www.lucidstar.net/heavymetal/wheel loaders/wheel2.html

My uncle also told me he saw a Cat 980C wheel loader being used to shove snowfall off the roads near the mine site where it worked. Can't quite believe it didn't damage the road surface!

From what I recall of Frankfurt airport in Germany, they had at least 6 O&K wheel loaders and some wheel loader/snowblower hybrid as well!

djmacc

Best bang for the buck

My son recently began clearing snow in large shopping mall parking lots here in Michigan. One of the pieces of equipment he is using is a 924 Cat Loader. As you might expect they have traction problems when pushing a long row and he is wondering what would be the best route to take to improve traction. I have read about studs, fluid in the tires and tire chains. You guys have any idea about the pros and cons to each approach?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I ave had great luck with siping the tires on smaller equipment and have been trying it on my grader with good results. Takes a lot of time to do it by hand but I think it is worth it.
I have only been siping them about 1/4" deep so ware does not seem to be a problem.

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
Heres my view from the weekend.

Attachments

• Plowing2.jpg
    Plowing2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,549
  • Plowing3.jpg
    Plowing3.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,547

BAD5oh

New guy here 15 min north of Boston.

We use loaders for snow too. We currently have:
86 Komatsu WA350 12ft double wing PA plow
88 Dresser 520B 12ft PA plow
94 Komatsu 11ft PA plow
95 Dresser 515C 11ft PA plow

We have a 10 and 12.5 pusher blade but we use them only during the day when we have to scrap aisles.

We do about 200hrs each machine per season. Fortunately we had no break downs and had a great winter

We picked up the 95 Dresser last summer from a car dealer that closed. It had 1300 original hours but had no plumbing for a plow. I plumbed in a diverter valve to the bucket curl. I used an old Fisher plow cable with w T handle and attached it to the curl lever. When I pull it the curl lever angles the plow and when I push it back down it goes back to the curl. Pretty cheap alternative than a 3rd valve

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Ive got a problem with an older trojan loader. anyone know why i would have good power in all the reverse gears but no power in the forward gears? someone said there are adjustments and even one on the converter?? When should the rans fluid be checked? running warm? engine off warm? running cold? engine off cold?