• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snow Plowing

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Didn't think it would work...LOL

"Rooster Tail"... off left side of plow... passing lane... I-90... :)

About 45 MPH. Just held camera out drivers side window... ;)

DSCF0715.jpg

And now to bed, so I can go again tonight... :waving

OCR

Didn't think it would work... and it didn't... not very well any way...
I'll bet MDT just loves me doing something like that.... :nono... I had one hand on the steering wheel, though...

Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
"Rooster Tail"... off left side of plow... passing lane... I-90... :)

About 45 MPH. Just held camera out drivers side window... ;)

View attachment 28849

And now to bed, so I can go again tonight... :waving

OCR

Didn't think it would work... and it didn't... not very well any way...
I'll bet MDT just loves me doing something like that.... :nono... I had one hand on the steering wheel, though...

Send some of that stuff over this way will ya? Trails open on the 16th.:woohoo

OCR

Occupation
Better put the heavy Carhartts on!!!

Send some of that stuff over this way will ya? Trails open on the 16th.:woohoo
I'll keep the snow Lowboy... and you can have this... :cool: (pun)... actually
not cool... down right cold... ;)

Weather Conditions for:
WOLF MOUNTAIN, MT (WWMM8)
Elev: 5217 ft; Latitude: 45.3131; Longitude: -107.1719

Time
14 Dec 1:18 am

Temp.
-20 (f)

Wind Chill
-47 (f)

Here's the link, but I copied and pasted the time and low temps., because it
updates about every hour... and they fall off the bottom of the page.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=byz&sid=wwmm8&num=24&table=1

It was a cold sucker, I'll tell you... especially when you just jump out to check something... with out your coat on... it doesn't take long to "check"... LOL
I really doubt a guy could live even half an hour... if something happened, and all you had on was a shirt and pants... I shudder, even to think about it... :eek:... Burrrrr.

And no... I didn't stick my arm out the window to take any pictures... :p

Well, happy sledding, LowBoy... and be safe... ya' hear.... ;)

OCR

Last edited:

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
They will. The savings that they would get would be negated by the lawyers suing for a slip and fall accident. The hardest part may be finding salt depending on your location.

By the time you figure in insurance, your fuel costs, you driver, and your wear and tear on truck/equipment, I dont think its worth it to pull out of the driveway for less than $60. I know of several guys in my area that were getting $70 an hour for trucks last year, and around $100 an hour for a backhoe with a snow pusher.

My best contract for the past couple years never even called me back about my bids and they have not salted this yera & we have had 2 ice incidents. The best part is that these are gas stations & the reason people prefered thes over other sis that they were kept super clean during snow & now they are losing business. The store managers have called me wanting to know when we will be there to salt & I kindly explain I am not doing it this year.

OCR

Occupation
Montana Department of Transportation snow plows:

Nice pictures OCR! Does the wing setup on the body work well? Ours are mounted up front. With the body mount I would think it would work really well with an underbody plow(underslung we call it). The wing would catch the snow/slush from the underbody plow.
Have you tried both types of wing set up? If so which one do you prefer?
Well Grader4me... I just spent about an hour typing up a post about wings and belly plows... and then lost my connection... hence the entire post.
I don't know what causes that... I must be too slow... :eek:

But here's a picture from the other night... even though taken at night...this is exactly what it looked like through my windshield... I was parked at the
Montana/Wyoming border... Had to stop on I-90 about 5 times and wait for a break in the blizzard... then it was about 5 miles an hour... nasty... :eek:

Had my lights on too!

OCR
DSCF0717.jpg

Last edited:

Grader4me

Well Grader4me... I just spent about an hour typing up a post about wings and belly plows... and then lost my connection... hence the entire post.
I don't know what causes that... I must be too slow... :eek:

But here's a picture from the other night... even though taken at night...this is exactly what it looked like through my windshield... I was parked at the
Montana/Wyoming border... Had to stop on I-90 about 5 times and wait for a break in the blizzard... then it was about 5 miles an hour... nasty... :eek:

Had my lights on too!

OCR
View attachment 31497

Sometimes if I'm typing a long post it will time out on me. When I click submit a box will come up asking me to log in. After I log in again I hit the back arrow to my post, click submit then it will go through.
When you're plowing in storms like that it sure gets the adrenalin flowing! We had to call our plows off the road a couple of weeks back. Couldn't see two feet in front of you.
Be interested in reading your post that was lost..get busy on that keyboard! lol

Cropduster

Here is a new twist on snowplowing. I don't normally do alot of it, mostly just hate the wear and tear on the equipment, but this year, figured I should keep busy, who knows what next year will bring in the building business. So normally I have a couple small shopping centers, a church parking lot, some driveways. I don't advertise, these are just customers I never "fired". Well this year, I start getting phone calls about plowing. I know some guys have gone under, so ok. Finally I asked where the people got my name, and some dude broke up with his babe, and she has been giving me referrals when they call him. I don't know if she knows it or not, but I got business of his all the time in the building season, he has alot of jobs that I get to do-over. I know he doesn't care for us, we charge more and still get more jobs, but don't know if she knows that. I guess the guy is as much a jerk in his personal life as he is on the job. Anyways, work is work. Gotta love that woman, I want to fix her up with another competitor.

Last edited:

lghighwayman

Occupation
Transportation
I have plowed snow for the last 9 years and find it to be a fun and exciting job. Enjoyed the pictures.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
went to snow and ice training any of you guys pre wet you salt or roads we dont and the way they reacted when i said something was they didn't want to screw with even trying it

Raildudes dad

I've worked for the local county highway authority and we have prewet our salt for over 40 years. Initially with on-board tanks but that was in the days before poly pipe and tanks - bad news. We went to spraying the load after the truck was loaded. In the past few years we are adding on-board tanks again AND prewetting the load on the truck after it's loaded. "The wetter the better' for instant melting when the salt hits the road. We use liquid calcium chloride for prewetting material. IL DOT probably has the best program to imitate.

ermineerwhatbuc

Occupation
unemployed, bobcat for hire
I was wondering what would be a decent cost average for a winter plowing job, the road I'm to plow is 8/10's of a mile pretty straight only one hill to worry about, I plow on average every 4" or so, I been burnt in the past and want to give an upfront price before My cutting edge hits the ground this year.