• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

snorkel pro 126 ems problem

olddordlover36

Hi my cousin has a snorkel pro 126 lift and took it to get inspected and they gave him the $20 computer system upgrade story that seems common with these. The problem is none of the led lights come.on nor does the digital display and they are stating the ems bix.is bad but are not made anym
ore and thus needs the entire upgrade. I am wondering if anyone has fixed this cheaper or has used parts available thanks in advance

BillG

I work on a couple of these regularly and it seems like the dealers like to quote these upgrades. I usually go through the schematic and spend some time logically troubleshooting before I open up the old wallet. It seems as though the OEM service manual lacks some of the more necessary info.

barklee

Hi my cousin has a snorkel pro 126 lift and took it to get inspected and they gave him the $20 computer system upgrade story that seems common with these. The problem is none of the led lights come.on nor does the digital display and they are stating the ems bix.is bad but are not made anym
ore and thus needs the entire upgrade. I am wondering if anyone has fixed this cheaper or has used parts available thanks in advance

I feel your pain!!!! I have a 2001 Pro 126 with the same problems and more. If you know the basics on this machine you can call Snorkel and they can walk you through how to trouble shoot it. I would recommend installing a rag in the fuel and and lighting it though!!!!:bash:bash:bash

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I would recommend installing a rag in the fuel and and lighting it though!!!!:bash:bash:bash

:iagree

One of the most ornery, temperamental, unforgiving machines I have ever worked on, leaves you completely baffled. :deadhorse

I have heard of cases where one of the two EMS boxes goes bad, and the system has to be updated. I agree with barklee, first thing to do is call Snorkel. :yup

Allstock

They are not the easiest machines to repair for most people, but they are by far not the worst booms ever made.
I have done the updates, and I have repaired at least a dozen without the update.

Whats the serial number of the unit your cousin has?
Are you able and willing to invest your time to correct the issue?

-Bob

olddordlover36

I would love to take a look at it myself but my cousin has it at a dealer for inspection. They now tell him that the "light module" is the only thing that is bad and needs replacing. Everything works just the warning lights do not illuminate. Wondering if anyone has one they would like to sell if they upgraded their machine to the new computer system. And yes he wants to trade it in for a Genie once it is working again!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Everybody has a preference, but if it were me, I'd trade it for a JLG 120HX myself. :)

barklee

Im glad your problems are minor. I would still consider installing the optional rag (part number 0001) and lighter (part number 0002).

Sorry, just living out my personal fantasy!!
I have heard the Genies are pretty complicated as well, but much better than the Snorkel. Im with Willie, the 120 JLG is a great machine and parts and people who know how to work on them are plentiful. Now if you are going to go big.......... look at the new JLG 1500!!!!

Allstock

I never liked the "JIB SWING OF DEATH" on the older JLG's. The newer style Genie 120/125' are great machines, but they do have a fair share of issues.
One of the best machines in the 120' + range is the JLG 1200SJP.

olddordlover36

Barklee, about how much is the rag anf lighter you have mentioned? The dealer is telling us that the light module is no longer available and if we cannot find a used one all must be updated is this true to yur knowledge? We are looking into the JLG's as well and after the comments are leaning that way. Thanks for all the input thus far!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I never liked the "JIB SWING OF DEATH" on the older JLG's. The newer style Genie 120/125' are great machines, but they do have a fair share of issues.
One of the best machines in the 120' + range is the JLG 1200SJP.

I don't necessarily disagree with the jib swing difficulties, if there's no flat ground to place machine or area restrictions. But given we don't live in a perfect world, I only recommended the 120HX because of it's simplicity in design. Yes, there are better machines, with all the bells and whistles, but the old HX is a simple machine to operate and maintain, something more user friendly than high tech electronic EMS systems. :)

Allstock

By "Light Module" do they mean the EMS box?
You can ship both EMS cards to Snorkel and they will test them, when they ship them back and tell you that they tested good, tell the company that tried to sell you on the upgrade that you would like your money back.

olddordlover36

I am not sure, first they told him it was the EMS box now they are saying it is a light module. In either event they are saying they are no longer available from Snorkel and the entire system has to be upgraded unless we could find a used one. I guess I will have to get the machine info and give Snorkel a call myself. I do most of his repairs for him on his equipment but this one he just took to a dealer for the osha inspection so I dont have it here now.

barklee

I am not sure, first they told him it was the EMS box now they are saying it is a light module. In either event they are saying they are no longer available from Snorkel and the entire system has to be upgraded unless we could find a used one. I guess I will have to get the machine info and give Snorkel a call myself. I do most of his repairs for him on his equipment but this one he just took to a dealer for the osha inspection so I dont have it here now.

I am fairly certain that this is all one assembly. Its a very difficult position....... isnt it? I am in the same place as you. I new system is 18,000. A good used 120HX is about 30,000 if you shop around. So, do you keep dumping money into a
bottomless pit or bail out and take a huge wack, because that machine is worthless without the computer.

Send me your address and i will send you parts 0001 and 0002 for free just for playing......... handling charges may apply!!!!!:drinkup