• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snorkel Lift TB 42 problem

mayn4u

I'm trying to get involved in the forum so this question is unrelated----I have a TB42 and the hi-idle and choke plunger silenoids quit stroking when actuated. The relay seems to be sending the signal and if I manually stroke the plunger back with the switch actuated it will stay in place. But as soon as the switch is flipped off it won't re-engage unless it is done manually. Any ideas?

Thanks, mayn4u

icestationzebra

I'm trying to get involved in the forum so this question is unrelated----I have a TB42 and the hi-idle and choke plunger silenoids quit stroking when actuated. The relay seems to be sending the signal and if I manually stroke the plunger back with the switch actuated it will stay in place. But as soon as the switch is flipped off it won't re-engage unless it is done manually. Any ideas?

Thanks, mayn4u

Are you referring to a Snorkel lift?

The issue you describe is very similar to the fuel shut-off solenoid issue Cummins had for many years with the inline fuel pumps. The actuator actually consists of two solenoids, one high current to pull back and one low current to hold. Usually the pull back coil fails before the hold, and you can turn the key on and move the lever like you describe and it will stay. This actuator has three wires - pull back, hold, and common ground.

If this sounds like your issue you can check for coil continuity or that the pull-back is getting power.

ISZ

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
He could be talking about a Terex TB42 as with Ford dual fuel engine as well. :beatsme

mayn4u

Thanks ISZ,

Yes, it is a Snorkel lift. Wisconsin engine. But I believe there is only two wires going to each solenoid (I'll check that out). And ring out the wiring to make sure I'm getting current in all the right places. "I'll be back".
Mayn4u

mayn4u

He had originally responded to my question. Since I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out how to post things in the right place, this seems to be the only way to "get connected".

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Since I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out how to post things in the right place, this seems to be the only way to "get connected".

Well, your status has been upgraded to Junior Member so you're connected now. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :usa

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Umm, why are you trying to contact digger?

LOL! Do I work with you guys? Talk about making something that should be simple, overly complicated... :D

The question was originally posted in a thread called "Nobody talks about lifts", which, may not have gotten the specific attention that the question requires. I PMed mayn4u asking what make and type a TB 42 is, so I could move the question to a thread of its own, and help to get a better response. Just got back to the replies now.

ISZ seems to have gotten a handle on it pretty quick without my help though.

Anyway, it's here now. :)

Carry on...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LOL! Do I work with you guys? Talk about making something that should be simple, overly complicated... :D

LMAO!

Well, you really don't expect me to make your job easy now do ya? :tong

I kinda got involved late in the conversation and mayn4U logged out before I got a response. No worries though, things are sorted out now. ;)

Mayn4U, be sure and check the voltage at the control soleniods with a volt meter. Connect the meter to the power connection at solenoid, then have someone flip the switch, monitor the voltage reading. You could have weak voltage which won't generate enough magnetic energy to pull solenoid engaged even though relays appear to be working properly.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
The two-wire throttle wires typically have a pull and a hold coil as well.

Usually inside the body of the solenoid is a switch that gets activated to disconnect the Pull coil when the solenoid plunger is pulled in completely.
This will disconnect the Pull coil and leave the Hold coil active. This switch activator is visible in the barrel of the solenoid when the plunger is removed.
Be sure it isn't loaded when you look into the barrel!;)

If the Throttle adjustment is not adjusted correctly and not allowing the Solenoid Plunger to come in fully, excessive heat from the current needed for the Pull Coil can cause damage to the Pull Coil and/or the switch contact inside the end of the Solenoid body.
This will leave only the Hold coil to try to pull the plunger in. It usually wont have enough energy to pull the plunger in and really appreciates it when you give it the little extra nudge of pushing it in. It will be able to hold it after it is in.

Sometimes, if the bolts that hold the end cap on the solenoid can be removed, the contacts of the Pull Disconnect switch inside of the solenoid can be cleaned and put back into service. Typically though, the heat causes damage to the metal tab that holds the contact or the Pull Coil itself has been destroyed.

Best luck for you would be, as Willie pointed out, a low voltage situation when hi-throttle is engaged.
Worse would be having to replace the solenoid.

If you must install a new solenoid, be sure to verify that the plunger is allowed to come all the way in at high throttle. If not, you will be replacing another one in due time.

mayn4u

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was able to post my questions via "the right way" so the question is repetitive. However your resposes are all good info. I'll
run some voltage tests and responed soon.

Thanks again, Mayn4u

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
I re-read your original post and see the problem is with both the hi-idle and the choke solenoids.
Voltage Drop or Ground Loss is more than likely the issue.
Chances are they share the same ground wire via a crimped terminal attached to a bolt or stud.
Be sure of the integrity of the ground at the connection and the wires.
Always be in the habit of putting the voltmeter leads across the component being measured and not just putting the negative lead of the voltmeter on the B- of the battery or on a "ground point" on a chassis somewhere. Many bad diagnostic decisions have been made from false data.