• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snorkel lift only one wheel pulling.

Moonlite

Working on a snorkel TBA42RDZ
Serial number 980690
In one direction only one wheel on one axle pulls. Change direction and only o e wheel pulls on the other axle. Ideas??

Moonlite

Got that first post all messed up. Shouldnt both wheels pull at sametime on drive axle? 2wd machine.

Last edited:

barklee

Got that first post all messed up. Shouldnt both wheels pull at sametime on drive axle? 2wd machine.

So, is it 2 wheel drive? My first thought if it is, is that when you flip the switch to high speed drive it pulls all the hydro oil to the one wheel, thus making the machine go faster. Im no expert on this and dont know how a 2 wheel drive machine works exactly. That was just the first thing i thought about.

Moonlite

Thanks for response barklee. It does change speeds when changing high low switch. Finally got to look at manual. By diagnostic tree it sends me back to lift drive valve. I did pull divertor valve apart everything seemed ok.

barklee

Thanks for response barklee. It does change speeds when changing high low switch. Finally got to look at manual. By diagnostic tree it sends me back to lift drive valve. I did pull divertor valve apart everything seemed ok.

Here again, i am NO hydraulic expert but i have had bad valves and they looked okay but were not.
Are those valves operated by solenoid to switch from high to low speed? Does it appear that it cuts oil from one wheel during high drive according to the manual? It would be interesting to see.

Moonlite

The divertor valve is activated by pilot pressure. The high low and lift drive are activated by coils. Didnt check them. Hadnt looked at manuals at that time. The unit was is a nice back yard stuck on a muddy slope. Didnt want to drive my truck in yard and cut ruts. Will go back over the wknd and get unit back up on good ground where i can jack drive axle up and check pressures. I do not have a flow meter so i cant check volume

davis1676

Occupation
facilities supervisor
I have a two wheel drive jlg 450a. most of the time in high only one wheel is pulling and in turtle both wheels will turn but seems like the more torque required the less it turns. ( fluid is taking the path of least resistence.) I buy plywood and cut it in half and lay on the ground to run over because my two wheel drive is very heavy and really will rut up the ground or get stuck.