• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Smoking l120e 2006

mrcowboy

Hi
I got a new problem with my Volvo l120e from 2006 it got a d7elae3 Engine.
The problem is that the Engine smokes very much. It almost looks like the machine is on fire. It consumes no oil or water and it running fine.
The smoke is dark.
I removed the turbo and its looks fine. Anyone had this problem before?

Last edited:

d9gdon

Check your air filter to see if it's plugged up. I saw a Komatsu PC300 excavator on a job site once that I thought was on fire by the way it smoked. I figured the turbo was going out, but I talked to one of the guys a day or two later and it turned out to be the air filter plugged up.

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
Hi, check the waste gate linkage is not broken, also check turbo shaft has not sheared in two.

mrcowboy

Thank you for the answers.
I have replaced the air filters and fuel filters. It was the first thing i did.
But now its leaking water from the exhaust pipe. Its coming from the last cylinder. But the Engine doesnt overheat.
Is the injectors watercooled like on the older volvo loaders?
If the cylinder head gasket is broken then it would overheat right?

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
There are no injector coppers only a copper washer, you may not have an over heat problem if the head gasket is blown, I have seen many L120Es blow a head gasket and run no problem other then the loss of water. As billthebairn said check the waste gate rod on the turbo they were know for breaking and causing low power and smoke.

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
Hi, there is no copper sleeves as direct says, as for head gasket this is poss but i have seen the deutz engine with many a dropped liner, is the coolant coming from No1 cyl (nearest cab) ? as this is the usual suspect, as before is the waste gate linkage intact?

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
I have seen on a Cat 992B doing the same thing and the problem was a flaw in the head casting had rusted through right at the exhaust port. I was to weld in shut without removing the head. First time for everything.

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
Hi, when you remove the head it would be advisable to check liner heights as ive seen many issues with these dropping.

mrcowboy

One of the bolts that holds the cylinder head was a little loose. so i will change the gasket and cross my fingers ;)

mrcowboy

I have changed the gasket and the bolts thats hold the cylinder head and now its seem ok. Thank you for the help!