• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Smallest mini with longest dig depth?

Cal

Occupation
Operator (underground plumbing)
Hi,

I've been racking my brain trying to search every mfr that I can think of to compare minis.
I own a plumbing company and we do a lot of excavations for residential sewer repairs and such.

In a perfect world I would like a machine that would dig 14-15ft and not way more than 13k pounds.
Is there such a beast? If not what is the closest alternative.

Currently have a KX121-3 which I love but I need to be close to 14ft at least.

Graham1

If i’ve done the conversion to metric correctly I would have thought you would need a custom made boom and dipper to meet those requirements. Then it depends what your ground conditions are like as to whether it would be powerful enough to dig with it.
Graham

Cal

Occupation
Yes, technically there is nothing that I can find that is in my range. Is there nothing out there with an extend-a-hoe, like a back hoe?

Cal

Occupation
But an A61 is a boat load of money GRAHAM! LOL

AzIron

Most backhoes are barely 14 unless they have an e stick bobcat has an e stick on one of there machines not sure about the reach

What your wanting I don't think is common place or is available for a decent price unless you go with a backhoe

Small excavators don't have the weight to put that kinda leverage on

td25c

Sounds like ya need a rubber tire backhoe .

We use a skid loader with backhoe attachment .

It go's to 12' depth given the ground will support it . After that bring in the 20 ton excavator . That don't get it …… Drag line time .

Those mini's have there place but like my Old Papaw used to say …… " It's to big for small work & to small for big work . LOL ! :D

All depends on the job & situation .

Graham1

But an A61 is a boat load of money GRAHAM! LOL
You didn't mention you had a limited budget! Might be a little over spec for your needs, but a very handy machine.
I think you are back to the custom made if your ground is soft enough. I have seen the dipper and extender from a backhoe loader swapped on to a 7000kg mini. Didn't look too dificult a conversion and that would give nice reach when you need it.
Graham

Tags

Can't move up to an 18,000 lb class machine? Maxing out digging depth on a mini gets old real quick, or are you just looking for the "ability" to go that deep if needed once in a while?

Clguest

One solution is to use a mini 3.5 ton or so with 11' dig depth, dig down several feet, reposition into the trench then dig deeper from there. The alternative of an excavator with 15' or more digging depth will likely be too wide, too tall and too heavy for residential use.

lumberjack

Quick attach on the dipper with a long reach dipper/extending dipper swapped on (or permenant/without the quick attach)?

My KX057 has a 12.75’ depth listed (not sure if that includes using the blade)... a bucket with a 2’ taller height would get you there while looking funny.

How much 14’ digging are you doing?

Cal

Occupation
Okay, so I've narrowed it down to the Yanmar vio 55 and the kubota kx057.
Dig depth on vio (some sites say 12.9'..some say 13.6')?.. depth on 057 says 12.8.
Maybe they are saying the 055 is capable of 13.6ft with blade down??

Which one would you guys pick?

Cal

Occupation
I do a lot of residential sewer line replacement. While my kx121-3 is perfect for most scenarios, when I'm digging a tap it leaves us having to hand dig another 3-5ft usually and depending on soil type that can take a few hours.

Cal

Occupation
One solution is to use a mini 3.5 ton or so with 11' dig depth, dig down several feet, reposition into the trench then dig deeper from there. The alternative of an excavator with 15' or more digging depth will likely be too wide, too tall and too heavy for residential use.

The 18k machine would put me in a CDL A area. I'm trying to stay under 26k gvwr. And honestly.. I think the 18k machine would likely be too big for most residential applications : /

Tags

I think with either the 55 or the 057 you’ll be overweight and needing a CDL anyway? At least where I am you would, once you go over 10,000 pound gross trailer you need a CDL and I know the 057 weighs almost 13,000 pounds with a cab...Either one of those machines would get you closer than your 121 would for sure. Like someone else said, you could always notch yourself down into the ground a foot or two to get down to where you need to be.

If you start comparing size and specs, a 12,000 pound class machine isn’t all that much bigger than an 18,000 pound class machine. I certainly know where you’re coming from though. I have a Takeuchi TB 260 and often work with a guy who has a Kobelco SK 75 and I think for the convenience, the Tak is nicer, faster, and easier to move around than the 75....

Cal

Occupation
I think with either the 55 or the 057 you’ll be overweight and needing a CDL anyway? At least where I am you would, once you go over 10,000 pound gross trailer you need a CDL and I know the 057 weighs almost 13,000 pounds with a cab...Either one of those machines would get you closer than your 121 would for sure. Like someone else said, you could always notch yourself down into the ground a foot or two to get down to where you need to be.

If you start comparing size and specs, a 12,000 pound class machine isn’t all that much bigger than an 18,000 pound class machine. I certainly know where you’re coming from though. I have a Takeuchi TB 260 and often work with a guy who has a Kobelco SK 75 and I think for the convenience, the Tak is nicer, faster, and easier to move around than the 75....

Hi. Yes, I have a CDL B (up to 26gvwr) but not an A.

I get your point about shelving down to get more depth. Problem is the yards are usually pretty tight and I wouldn't have enough space to put the dirt i dug out from under the machine plus the extra i'm now digging down to get to that 14ft mark : /

I'm thinking the kx057 would be the best of both worlds since I can't have an 080 and a 121 is a bit shy

heymccall

My four TB180FR machines, with anywhere between 3k & 9k hours, are preferred 4 to 1 over my brand new VIO55, by operators. But, we do all trenchline work. They all love the larger cab, but complain when working offset.

At 19k lbs, the TB180FRs are very similar in performance to the 12k# vio55-6, or at least that's what they say.

Reactions: Cal

lumberjack

I can't think of an easy/practical way to measure my 057's digging depth using the blade.

My 057 has nearly 900 hours on it, bought it new in Dec 2013. I went with the 057 because it could spin the house inside my dump trailer while the 080 couldn't. Aside from the standard Kubota strengths (reliability, power, etc), Kubota Insurance is fantastic (KTAC) to deal with.

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 10.32.59 AM.png