• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

small P&H shovel , need info.

loggah

Brian,Thanks i probably try to make it, i cant believe they wouldn't print D--K Hallbergs name !!!!! i guess D__K is offensive to some, i guess my brothers name is probably a big no,no, D--k Johnson !!!:):) .Don

P&H_Historian

It's a P&H Model 150 shovel

Well The scrapyard where i shear up iron with my labounty shear on my old 235, got in a old P&H shovel the other day, pretty much complete, nice running 6 cylinder continental engine,good undercarrige. I have a small collection of old crawler tractors,trucks, and a unit 12-20 crane, i just didn't have the heart to chop it up,so i bought it!! I believe its from the 40"s but have no idea what model,I would like to buy a parts ,or operators manual for it,hopefully some here will know what model it is,i will post a link to the pictures,i am not smart enough to post pictures. Don

http://www.pbase.com/loggah/ph_shovel

What you have there is one of the great construction-class shovels designed and built between 1935 and 1951 by West Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based Harnischfeger Corporation. That machine was available in various platform options - power shovel, backhoe, dragline, clamshell, crane and pile driver. We do not have an operator's manual but we do have some operator specs. We are trying to purchase a brochure containing nice, detailed mechanical systems photographs. The engine was built by Waukesha Engine based in Waukesha, Wisconsin just to the west of Milwaukee. That firm remains in business (dba Dresser Waukesha industrial engines). Harnischfeger Corporation was founded in 1884 by Alonzo Pawling and Henry Harnischfeger. Their "P&H" brand mining equipment is now applied to surface mines (copper, coal, iron ore, oil sand, gold, molybdenum, phosphates) worldwide. If you might want copies of the P&H 150 specs, please send e-mail to [email protected] . 'Hope you can hang onto that P&H 150. It's part of a century of great digging machines that commenced in 1912 when Pawling & Harnischfeger began introducing earthmoving machines for construction and mining.

P&H_Historian

AFFIRMATIVE, General310: P&H Model 150s were supplied to the US Army Corps of Engineers, Navy CBs and ended up in faraway places like Persia (modern-day Iran) assembling trucks and materiel bound for Russia's western front against the Wehrmacht during WWII as part of the Lend-Lease Program.

loggah - I have operators and parts books for this machine. Really swamped with work right now, but first chance I get I'll copy them for you. Email your contact info so I can get them to you. ([email protected])

Seems odd that the date you found was so late with ours being numbered so much higher. Story is that my family placed the order for their P&H sometime in 1945 even before the war ended. Equipment manufacturers were taking orders once it appeared the war was nearing an end. I will have to ask my father, but I thought he said that it was delivered in early 1946. I do remember him saying it was painted olive drab, so it must have been produced for the military, but they never took delivery of it. Maybe they were stamping them as they left to be delivered for warranty purposes.

If you can get ahold of Mark Dietz @ P&H mining he can tell you the shipping history of your machine. I'm sure someone over at the HCEA website could put you in touch with him.

caterpillarRy

my grandfather might know what it is he had a few p&h shovels over the years his first one was a 160 i think he said? he said it had a ford v8 and he liked it