• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Small Dump Trucks

-RollOff-

We have a 1 ton dump but were looking to get something bigger like a ford f800 dump truck single axle. I found a couple from the early 90s in my area in a good price range. I was wondering if anyone owns one of these and can tell me anything I should know about them.

P.S. I was also wondering if a Ford F800 is under or over the 26,000 GVW. I searched up google and it shows some that are and some that aren't????

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
You answered your own question. Some are and some are not.
I have a F600 all wheel drive and it has it's place just not every place. and it is a gas hog, needs it's own pipeline north. I also have a 1 ton rolloff dump and it makes more money then any 10 yarder that I have ever had. always busy.

greywynd

It also varies on the area, here one could license it for 26,000 (or whatever the metric equivalent is) even if it's rated for more. I know where there is a International S/A for cheap (it would be a project) but it's on hydraulic brakes, so anyone with a regular license could drive it, which can have advantages. Unfortunately it's something that has limited use, because of the limited carrying capacity.

celticcrusader

IF the truck has the FORD LUCAS GIRLING hyd. brake syst. RUN AWAY and don't look back!! it is very very pricey to repair, not one of FORDS better ideas. and that is about the right year range to have that syst. or if you buy it your local repair shop will love you.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
we have a 1990 F800...its a 33K truck with air brakes and a 5 speed tranny w/splitter...its got the 7.8 Ford motor...not much on power but it pulls around our 580 SuperM ok

These are two of my trucks here @ James E Hall General Trucking in Bermuda

This is a 1999 Nissian Diesel MK210 (UD 1800HD in the States) with 6yd dump

IMG_1100.jpg

Similar truck but 2003... longer wheelbase with 3 ton crane & 6yd dump

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Bermuda Trucker!:drinkup

Is that a a Unic crane on the truck in the second pic?

Isn't that a truck with no balls:eek:

Ohhh.. no balls! Well.... as this is a small Island and we are limited by the Gov. as to what we can import (90" max width & 260" max length) for General Trucking use these trucks fit perfectly. That crane truck cost me $85,000 US dollars here three years ago. I used to own a 35k truck a few years ago. It was a Mack MS300T (T as in yard tractor) Had the fifth wheel removed and a 12 foot dump body installed. As it was formerly a tractor it had a short wheelbase 120" which is a must for our small roads.
220Hp engine 12k front & 23k rear... Used to haul 12 tons of material in that.
The front of these trucks is 88" but the rear tires are 96" so I had to install different offset rims to pull them in to 89.5" so I could pas DOT inspection here. Here's a pic of a MS300 with a hooklift installed that I saw here a few weeks ago

IMG_1147-1.jpg

IMG_1147-1.jpg

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
We have a 1 ton dump but were looking to get something bigger like a ford f800 dump truck single axle. I found a couple from the early 90s in my area in a good price range. I was wondering if anyone owns one of these and can tell me anything I should know about them.

P.S. I was also wondering if a Ford F800 is under or over the 26,000 GVW. I searched up google and it shows some that are and some that aren't????
Are you looking for something under CDL?
With the fuel price roller coaster it's a toss up between diesel and gas. You gotta lookout for the trucks with "new beds" selling most of them are either ex-rental trucks or road tractors with high miles and abuse. Of course now it's a buyers market for a truck or equipment if you want the risk.
At one time we had a GMC 7000 with a 427 13 spd and air brakes it did quite well. A lot of them 1990's Fords were big gas burners.