• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Small Demo Job Questions

Tanstaafl

Alright, my parents are looking at removing a concrete patio (actually it's original purpose was a small basketball court) from their back yard. They're/I'm going to call around next week to get some bids and prices. I'm also looking at just tearing it out myself with the help of my brother if we think we can do it cheaper.

My questions relate to two different scenarios. Both have the same general constraints. Specs on the job would be: it's a ~3.5" slab that's approximately 15x20. Given how it's cracked and it's purpose I'd assume that there is no rebar in it. Parents do not want to tear up the yard so a skid steer or similar is out. So it's all gotta be done by hand (breakers allowed obviously).

-Anybody have a rough estimate on what it would cost to have it contracted out? All that's involved is the demo and removal of the old concrete. Yard is nice and flat so it makes it a little easier.

-As far as doing it ourselves I figure we could bust it out in 2 days. I figure we'd need a breaker and a dumpster. I found a price for an electric breaker from HD @ $64/Day and then we'd have to get a dumpster also. Anybody have a rough price quote on a dumpster for 300 sq ft of 3.5" concrete? (call it 7-8 tons of concrete by my calculations).

I'd appreciate any help/words of advice you could throw my way.

greywynd

If you want it all done by hand (hand held breaker and wheelbarrows) it will cost you in labour, either yours, or paying for someone else.

If I were looking at this job, I would take my mini ex in and break up the concrete. From the condition of it you describe, it should break up by lifting corners etc with the bucket, since I don't have a breaker. Large chunks can be broken up farther by dropping them onto others, or getting a piece under them and a crack with a large sledgehammer.

If access allowed, I've driven my one ton dually across lawns with no visible damage if it's dry enough.

At 4", it's only about 4 yards, so likely 6 tons, or three easy loads in my dually. Distance to dump/dispose would determine the price.

Even just to break it up, would only take a couple hours to get it to excavator sized chunks.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I don't think a skid steer of mini ex would tear up the yard. You might see some marks for a couple days but then it will come back.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
We pull out a lot of small concrete paths, patios and driveways. Most often we make a few cuts with our 16" saw and then pull it out with a rake on the mini-ex. If I can I swing the pieces to a pile and drop them, further breaking them up...and sometimes a few wallops with the big sledge hammer does the trick.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Those electric jackhammers are horrible. At least the ones I've dealt with. Rent an Air Compressor and 2 90 lbs jack hammers.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Before you rent anything or hire anyone, why don't you take a few swings at it with a good old sledge hammer? It might surprise you...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
you are sick, sick individual digger:naughty

Well, yeah, ok. I am. :)

But honestly, back in my 20s I could take out that much concrete swinging a sledge, and picking at it with a digging bar, especially working with a couple of other like minded guys that enjoyed a challenge. (And we did, on several occasions.) Also especially if there's no rebar or wire, and if it's already cracked, it's not that bad. Now, make it 6" thick, and you're in for a real battle, but 4" isn't that much. I wouldn't want to have done it 40 hours a week, but once in a while, it was good excercise. You work from the edges in, and don't try to break off too much at one time. That also makes it easier to handle by hand.

Today, it would most likely kill me. :pointhead

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
If you havent completed the job yet, I have an idea that will make it easier. Go Get a hammer drill and a decent sized concrete bit. Take a chalk line and make a grid of 1' squares. Now drill the grid corners almost thru, but not completely. Then wait till you get a cold night, like 20 degrees. Then fill the holes with water. If everything goes acording to plan, the next morning, the concrete will be all broke up, and no need for a sledge.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
IMO, outside jobs always suck or are worse than what me and my paps can do. Slay me if you want, but no one does it like you coz it directly affects you, so the job gotta be good

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Breaking concrete

If you havent completed the job yet, I have an idea that will make it easier. Go Get a hammer drill and a decent sized concrete bit. Take a chalk line and make a grid of 1' squares. Now drill the grid corners almost thru, but not completely. Then wait till you get a cold night, like 20 degrees. Then fill the holes with water. If everything goes acording to plan, the next morning, the concrete will be all broke up, and no need for a sledge.

Hi all.

This suggestion is a bit hard to achieve in the Australian climate.
Has anyone used the Micro Blaster system http://www.micro-blaster.com/products.htm at all.

As a normal guy the idea of blowing things up with little explosive charges intrigues me immensely. I'm not sure if this would be available or legal in Australia. Be interested to hear if anyone has used the micro blaster here in Oz.

Regards Dave

greywynd

There's another system like that one that uses a 12gauge blank to split boulders too. I've used it, but can't recall the name of it.

edit to add:I found the one I've used. boulder buster

Another method of breaking up rock, concrete etc are products that swell in teh holes you've drilled. One I found quickly is this one

Last edited:

4digger

i say your best bet is to just rent a skidsteer with a hydro hammer and a bucket and load it out on a pick up should only be a could of truck loads.