• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slow cranking 650j

matwyukm

Have a 650j I put a new battery cables starter in still cranks too slow to fire the 4045h. Engine. Voltage is 12+ volts. At the battery and starter. But drops to 5-6 volts when cranked. Tried to isolate positive and negative, no difference. No change trying to jump . also changed ignition switch. Any help appreciated.

matwyukm

That's what I was thinking as well. I was calibrating the TCM when the dozer lurched (inside my garage) and I shut it down. I can turn the engine over with a breaker bar. So question is, how do I relieve the load? I've cracked a hydraulic line on the pump and fluid flows out, but not really under pressure. Thanks for any help.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Remove your floor board. Then disconnect both PCP connectors on the hydrostatic pumps. See if it cranks faster and starts. If it does not, then we will move on the next step.

PCP.png

Last edited:

matwyukm

Remove your floor board. Then disconnect both PCP connectors on the hydrostatic pumps. See if it cranks faster and starts. If it does not, then we will move on the next step.

View attachment 260058
I've done that, no difference. I did replace the front pcp, this the recalibration. I had to take the control valve off to get it out. So could it be the neutral link didnt line up?

matwyukm

I usually set it in with one hand while looking in a mirror with the other. You can barely see the link, but see it enough to line it up.
I am 99 % sure I got it in. Used the mirror. Could feel it drop in, and then when I slid the the valve body back and forth I could feel the spring tension from the arm. Put it all back together, and back to a slow grind. ????

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If it cranked fine with the PDCV assembly off and cranks hard with it on, you either have an issue with the PDCV sticking or you did not get the pin in. The next step would eliminate pressure control issues. It would indicate a mechanical issue if it cranks hard with hoses attached.

PDCV.png

Kyfarm

This may be way to simplistic but on my farm equipment I've learned the hard way that a battery can show proper voltage but not have enough amps to turn a starter properly.

Have you tried swapping batteries so you can be completely sure it's not a weak battery?

matwyukm

If it cranked fine with the PDCV assembly off and cranks hard with it on, you either have an issue with the PDCV sticking or you did not get the pin in. The next step would eliminate pressure control issues. It would indicate a mechanical issue if it cranks hard with hoses attached.

View attachment 260141
I'm leaning towards a pressure issue. When I shut it off during the calibration. It was starting to make a left turn (right track moving). Could it be stuck in drive and when I removed the valve it deverted the pressure? If this is the case, how do I get it out of drive? Thanks for all your help,

matwyukm

This may be way to simplistic but on my farm equipment I've learned the hard way that a battery can show proper voltage but not have enough amps to turn a starter properly.

Have you tried swapping batteries so you can be completely sure it's not a weak battery?
I switched out the batteries and even tried jumping it. But I keep looking at this area. Thanks

matwyukm

Seems it needed

View attachment 260141
Seems it may have needed some time or some turns to reset. Cranking much better this morning. Still not starting. Have new injector pump, injectors, lift pump. Have 200 psi compression in all cylinders during cranking just holding the guage in by hand. The ratio on this engine is 17.2:1 figure that's 250 psi. I got fuel to the injectors, a little white smoke from the exhaust. Won't fire on ether. Still stumped.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Has cranking speed been checked with a tach?

If parasitic load is too high, ether will not help.

Have 200 psi compression in all cylinders during cranking

Sounds low to me. But we need to make sure cranking speed is good. Compression Spec for engine with the mechanical injection pump is 345-405. Engine with electronic injection pump, 410-430.

Last edited: