• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sloppy fit

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Working with my first excavator. Some of the pins/bushings in the bucket/arm linkage are (to me) a little sloppy. They wiggle around more than I like. Sometimes its useful (when shaking dirt off a stump or out of a slash pile) but mostly it's just annoying.
Do you guys replace these components often (1000 hours?, 4000 hours?)
Do you buy factory OEM components?
Do you have pins and bushings machined to your material/tolerance spec?

JDOFMEMI

It would be useful to know what size machine you are talking about, and how much you will use it, as there are different options on how to deal with your issue depending on those answers.
There is a great deal of variation in the cost of the repairs, and how much use you expect may determine how much you are willing to spend.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Hi Jerry. I have a Bobcat 442; it's about 8 tons. It's not used much. Mostly to clear some of my property so we can get some sunlight in here (when it's actually sunny! :) ). It won't see more than 200 hrs a year most likely....unless I can find work for it.

JDOFMEMI

OK, that helps.

With small machines like that, you can do a good fix without breaking the bank.

First you need to find where the problem is coming from. Is it side to side play, are the pins worn badly, or is it the bushings. My guess is a combination.

The easiest thing to fix is side to side slop. You can pull the pins and shim the sides to keep the bucket from sliding back and forth.

The next thing is the pins and bushings. On small machines, it is cheap enough to just buy new pins and bushings, and not too hard to change bushings.

I know there are several detailed threads on here showing how to change them, so I won't reinvent the wheel.

I am sure some of the mechanics will chime in with some more details as well.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I have found a sloppy bucket that makes a lot of noise helps keep onlookers away from my work. Just wish there was a way to make a tight bucket make a lot of noise on command then become tight when no one was around.
seriously tight pins is a pet peeve of mine. I replace them when they begin to bother me with new ones from the factory. Nothing seems to last as long as original equipment ones. And because the excavator is a tool and makes a living for me I want it in the best shape as possible at all times.
Using a rundown piece of equipment does nothing for my pride.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Dwan...something that's always worked on me....lean out the cab and ask the curious 'would they please get your attention if they spot that big snake?'.

Thanks for the input Jerry!

Last edited: