• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slobbering oil outta muffler pipe? D4D

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hey guys I overcame a D4D 68 model with a direct drive hand clutch with a hyster 4 wintch on the rear, well first off when I got the lil dozier I had to learn how to drive one with a hand clutch an let me say it was a heck of an experience ,,, first off I had to load it on a lowboy first off an yuppp it happened ,, I had a brain fart an froze up an turn the boy 90 degress an off the side of the truck, needless to say after I got it home an it sat for 2 yrs I finally got the nerve up to play with it an paint it up an repair a few loose pads, an now after its been painted the motor has decided to slobber oil outta the pipe while running, I had ran into this few yrs ago on a cat 525 skidder after building the motor the guy let it run for hrs at a idle an the the rings glaved over an I cought heck making it stop, so when I first got the d4 I didn't notice the oil leak from muffler,,, ive got on ,it a pushed around with it a low or mid range rpms an it pushs a little oil from muffler,,, though it may of been the vent tube stopped up, removed it an didn't make a differ. so I removed the exhaust manifold an looked into head ports, all 4 of em are wet from oil,,, this is like my second encounter of this happening to a motor,,but this is the first time its been to a used motor an not a fresh rebuild,,,i though to myself for sure a 4 pistons are not slobbering oil. im trying to get outta doing a motor job to it,, cause im in the market to do few repairs an sell it . does anyone have any ideas ,,like I say I really don't wanta build it but I will if needed, also does anyone have any idea of that the tractors worth,,,, it has limb risers an has the rounded top not the average square, also it has the heavy expanded steel mesh around cab an a hyster 4 winch on rear an a great undercarriage,,, has been replaced before an I just painted it an new decals, other than oil leak from muffler over all its a pretty good running lil tractor an steers an drives an starts great, I was gonna ask bout 8500 bucks for it an see how it goes but I have seen some for 9000 to 16000 bucks

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
My guess would be that the rings are a little stuck from sitting. I have picked up a few machines over the years that have sat awhile. I would make sure it full of oil and water than work it hard for 1-2hrs. Oil will spray everywhere for a while but should get to be less as you go.

Last summer I picked up a 1953 D4. that one I changed oil and filter first, had not ran for 8yrs. That thing blew oil out the exhaust manifold drain holes like crazy for about the first 30 minutes. I was pulling a 4 bottom plow. After another hour totally quit ran like a top after that.

Or it could be wore out. Haha

Good luck

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Put a good load on it and work the heck out of it. Slobbering happens quit often on the older Cats when they have set for a while although 2 years does not sound like very long. I picked up a D2 that had been in a shed for 25 years last summer. It had been started every year and drove out side, idled for a bit, and then put away again but never worked. It slobbered like crazy. We put a disc on it and worked it and with in a couple hours it had cleared up and quit drooling. By halfway through the second tank of fuel the power was up and it has been running like a new one.

Let us know how you make out. Picture of you D4 would be nice.

Last edited:

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hey there friend, I though of running the crap outta it today but it was ugly weather here today but ill give it a shot ,,,, I had to do that to a 525 cat skidder one time, even after I removed the motor for the 2nd time after building it to see what was going on inside , an never saw anything outta ordinary, but went ahead an honed the new liners hopeing to remove any glazeing were guy let it sit an idle after I built it for a few hrs an not working, but what was a kicker was after I replaced the rings with new ones it still slobbered,,,, so needless to say I removed the turbo an capped off oiler lines an I ran the skidder around an beat on the motor like crazy an really worked it hard with out the power from the turbo needless to say that straighted that crap out after 30 mins or so,,, maybe ill get lucky with my d4 thanks,,

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
we have allways ran the rotella 15 40 or the dello 15 40 for yrs here on the farm ,,,, im thinking the rings may be stuck or glazed over a lil bit,,,,, hope to run the crap outta it for lil while an see if the slobering eases up

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Run it hard for a day or so. If it don't stop slobbering oil, remove the aircleaner elements and let it suck in about half a teaspoon of soap powder at half throttle. This practice was recommended by Caterpillar years ago, read it in a Cat 212 grader operator manual.:)

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hello friend, I have actually did this before with an 525 cat skidder before an an old cat d7g ,,,it worked on the d7 but not on the 525,,, I just had to run the crap outta it with turbo off. thanks

Metalman 55

On my 78Axxxx D4D a couple of years back, mine was going through a lot of engine oil, not leaking, not slobbering out the exhaust, it was just going through an exorbitant amount for a time & then it got better again & does not use hardly any now again. Prior to the excessive consumption, there was a day during some cold weather when I had started it & then got busy in the office & couldn't back out for a while (maybe an hour) so suspect it may have been caused from running cold unattended.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Tones

about half a teaspoon of soap powder at half throttle

I have not heard of that method being used for years . . . but it did work, almost like magic on some Allis engines.

I am not so sure straight soap powder would work. This was the product recommended by Allis and then they bought out a 'running in' powder with a part number and about fifty times the price.

http://www.bonami.com/index.php/products/powder_cleanser/

Cheers.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yair . . . Tones

I have not heard of that method being used for years . . . but it did work, almost like magic on some Allis engines.

I am not so sure straight soap powder would work. This was the product recommended by Allis and then they bought out a 'running in' powder with a part number and about fifty times the price.

http://www.bonami.com/index.php/products/powder_cleanser/

Cheers.

Almost wish I had saved a Cat Service Manual I had believe it was for somthing like a D13000 engine. Gave it to some guy who had one in a museum or such. Anyhow it listed this bonami as a "break-in compound" and even listed the Cat part number for it!

Found a picture of a D13000:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1242&bih=585&q=cat+d13000+engine&oq=Cat+D130&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24l2.2606.9397.0.13575.8.7.0.1.1.0.107.568.6j1.7.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..0.8.568.Y2Haev7u4nY#imgdii=_&imgrc=5LzJfvjbQq2WtM%253A%3Bx3AzycMDOWYP3M%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fc1.staticflickr.com%252F5%252F4134%252F4782983975_a1d58bc4f0.jpg%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.flickr.com%252Fphotos%252Fjondresner%252F4782983975%252F%3B500%3B333

I believe we had one of them in something like a Model 6 Northwest crane that went to auction about 15 years ago. Started and ran up on to truck when it left.

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The 1950s era Cat 2U-D8s also had the 13000 engine in them. I will look through my manuals tonight and see if I can find the stuff you are speaking of. Mine slobbers a bit after setting for 15 years. Ran it some last summer for a few hours and it got better, but not quite there yet. I need to find more load to put on it and work it this summer.

dozer12216

Occupation
Currentlly clearing some 50 acres for farmland.
Do not use "bonami" or any abrasive powder. One teaspoon is more than enough to dust a engine.
Running hard and getting hot is far more effective. Partially blocking radiator with cardboard and working engine works well.
Always monitor engine to keep from overheating (say 220 max degrees)

Old Magnet

I'd post the instructions for the "bon-ami" but I fear it would become the cure all for slobber. This solution was abandoned by Cat a long time ago and is no longer recommended.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'd post the instructions for the "bon-ami" but I fear it would become the cure all for slobber. This solution was abandoned by Cat a long time ago and is no longer recommended.

I was not suggesting anyone actually do the bom-ami "cure" just noting that it was an "authorized procedure" at one time. Good hard work is the best way to clear up the slobber.

New to the forum here. Been lurking in the bushes for awhile and finally decided it was time to sign up. A thought on the D4... is it turbocharged? If so it might be worth a look. I've seen one or two that the internal seals started to leak after sitting up. Just something to consider.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The D4D is naturally aspirated

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
no its a naturaly aspirated engine (no turbo) had removed manifold an looked into exhaust ports to find all 4 ports were wet ,,,,put it back on this morning an ran the crap outta the lil fella an she cleared rite up ,,, its a pretty tuff lil ole fella an pretty stout,,,, now im gonna sell it ,,,make someone a good round the farm tractor,, need to find someone to help me figureout a descent ball park range to ask for it,,, ive seen em listed for as low as 7000 to as high as 16000. gotta find a good starting point area.