• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slewing ring (rotec) bearing replacement

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
thanks for the words of encouragement. as far as the hours I ran over quite a bit (my risk and return got eaten by risk). I was on site less hours than I figured but I had to drive to the site 2 extra times due to scheduling of the other machine after things fell apart, I also had to drive extra miles after the special rigging and all of the extra cribbing. well live and learn, all's well that ends well..........theironoracle

tctractors

Oracle, well done for sticking at it and "Gettin er' Done" my advice to you is use man sized Timber Baulks that are are about 8 -10 ft long with cribbing in between about 3 ft long at the back of the excavator where you do your Jacking, useing little heaps of sticks is to unstable and danger loaded??? and will near always lead to the Wobbles, I would not attempt this task useing the cribbing style you used, anyhow the job was done and the experience gained was Mighty.
tctractors

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
thanks tc, to begin with i tried to do to much with to little it almost ended with me looking for a payroll job. next time i will have even more blocking like you say "man sized baulks".....theironoracle

HATCHEQUIP

Ive heard my dad talk over the years that when he was with Preston Carroll Corp that everything started out hook and house rollers with center pin bushings then Lorain came out with rotec bearings and Koehring wanted the bearing but lorain had the patten rights sewed up and they couldn't touch it so Koehring bought Lorain just to get the bearing. They were big koehring users "1066 1266 1466 they had several and some of the smaller ones to" He said that one day cat was putting on a little dog and poney show trying to get him to to think about some cat excavaters and was going on about how much engineering they had put into the machine and that the bearing was a cat built item when he scratched the paint off the bearing id plate on the cat and discretly showed the engineer the rotec badge.