• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slack in turntable rotation gear Genie Z45/22

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy a 1997 Genie Z45/22 lift. Everything seems to be okay for the age of the lift, but it has a lot of slack in the rotation gear (worm gear system). I've tried to study the service manual to see if there is any way to adjust the tolerance in the worm gear system, but can't figure it out.
Any of you that have any experience into this?
If it can be adjusted, fair I'm going to buy the machine, but if it require a brand new worm gear, I will pass on it.

Appriciate a lot your comments.

mekanik

Are the worm drive bearing greasable?I used to maintain a lift "not a Genie" that had a worm rotation system. There was a grease fitting on the worm Housing that put grease on the worm gear which it spread around the rotation bearing. There was no way to lube the tapered roller bearings at either end of the worm. They were packed with grease at assembly. Over the years the grease disappeared and the bearings failed damaging the rotation bearing. Can you get someone to move the boom back and fourth while you watch and see if there is end play on the worm gear.

Are the worm drive bearing greasable?I used to maintain a lift "not a Genie" that had a worm rotation system. There was a grease fitting on the worm Housing that put grease on the worm gear which it spread around the rotation bearing. There was no way to lube the tapered roller bearings at either end of the worm. They were packed with grease at assembly. Over the years the grease disappeared and the bearings failed damaging the rotation bearing. Can you get someone to move the boom back and fourth while you watch and see if there is end play on the worm gear.
This is a very good point, I follow you 100%. I don't think it's possible to inspect the spindle of the worm gear if I recall correct. Even from the exploded view from Genie site, it not really showing a possibility to unassemble the worm drive it self.

An update just to close this, I decided not to buy the lift. Had a talked with Genie service technician who could tell me the worm gear assembly is not serviceable, and you mention Mekanik the entire upper body needs to come of, and repair will be to expensive. But thanks for your input.