• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skytrak forklift

nikko

i have a 10k skytrak forklift. when i extend the boom it seems fine but when i extract it back it seems the engine wants to die. dont know where to start to find the problem.

Rentalmechanic

Nice post ,whats the s/n of said skytrak? Has the boom been greased recently inner and outer wear pads ? Last fuel filter change?

nikko

the serial #14450. yes i replaced the fuel filter and also hydralic filter. it seems the wear pads look greased. to retract the boom u have to rev up the engine. but it seems to do this with every lever on the control sticks.

nikko

usually all forklifts when u boom in/out u dont rev up the engine and the boom slids in and out easily.. with my forklift as soon as i boom in or forks down it wants to kill the engine so i have to rev up and hold the gas pedal. when booming out it doesnt do that and i dont have to rev up.

Rentalmechanic

On skytrak they have counterbalance vavles on the cyclinders in the up/down and tele in/out function the down and tele in are always set higher. I will have to look on the computer tomorrow and tell you if they are adjustable, I dont believe they are. Since your telling me the only function it tries to kill the motor are in and down, two functions if it was just one would lead me to believe your valve were cross bleeding pressure threw the valve bad seals etc.Since it is two functions leaves me to believe you have the counterbalances restricting flow, since that is the only thing interupting it to flow back to tank. More to follow....

nikko

i really appreciate your info. let me know where they located and if the counterbalance are adjustable.

Rentalmechanic

Honestly for the liability of myself and this board. I will not provide, if you were a seasoned mechanic that works around this type of equipment you would know the locations. You would also know that removing, tampering with these safety devices could evac fluid of high pressure of 3000 psi or more causing injury or death. There is a proper way to do the job but you need to hire a seasoned mechanic when addressing componets that would free fall after removing a vital componet or tampering with on a main or telecylinder. Just by chatting with you I take it your novice to this type of work and nothing is worth your safety

nikko

u know i really appreciate your concern but no need to worry. i worked in north dakota on oil rigs and dealt with pressure way beyond your 3500 psi that you so concerned. ive fixed workover rigs on my own as they are run mostly on hydralic and air, concerning forklift i just needed advice thats all and no im not a novice on this and probably know more than most certified mechanics. and by the way i found the problem and fixed it. thanks though and appreciate your advice.