• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skytrak 9038 weight

Deere450c

I am looking at a Skytrak 9038 and am wondering about the operating weight. In the book it shows operating weight to be 23,100 lbs. I have been pricing new tires and asking what the rated weight capacity of the 12 ply (originally only came with 10 ply tires) tires are. The tires I am finding are all in the just under 6000 lb rated area.

My question is this, does the manual show the operating weight to include the 9000 lb lift capacity, or are they just overloading the tires?

thanks tim

what is the general thought on value of an early, mid 80's machine. Its got just over 8000 hrs with about 2000 or so on a rebuilt engine. Needs 3 tires BAD, one boom cylinder repacked asap, and acouple easy hose fixes.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hmmm, never thought about that; the combined weight of the machine plus its capacity load being heavier than the rated capcity of the tires. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if the machine has the mfg recommended tires and ballast (if required) it should be OK. After all, they built it, engineered it, tested it, and they've been in service without tire incidents. What engine does the machine have, Ford or Deere? I've always liked the 239 Deere over the 444 Ford. IMHO. :)

Deere450c

It makes a difference whether I can haul it on my 12 ton tag trailer, or if I have to have a semi come move it, or drive it on the road when I want to move it.

I just talked to an operator and he says there is no way the lifts would be designed to exceed the tire capacity. That would make the machine roughly 14,000 lbs. Standing looking at the machine it has made me wonder were they would get 23,000 lbs into the thing. 14,000 sounds more like it.

tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't think the "machine operating weight" includes load on the forks. I looked at the specs on the machine and it only notes additional load of 175 lb operator and a full fuel tank.

Deere450c

The machines as built only had 10 ply tires which I do not know the rating of but it would be less than the 5900 lbs of the 12 ply tires. 5900 x 4= 23,600 lbs. If in fact the manufacturer does not include carrying capacity in their operating weight total that would mean an overload of 2125 lbs per tire on the 12 ply rated tires. The more I think about it the more unlikely it would seem to be they would not have included it. Just the safety issues if nothing else.

My thinking is with the tire rating adding up to what the total machine weight is they have included the load capacity into the machine operating weight so that you WON'T use underrated tires.

tim

Deere450c

Well I own the machine now, I paid the guy for it this afternoon. I have also talked to the Skytrak folks. The guy on the other end of the line felt certain that the machine is operating weight + load. Once its over the scales I will know just what is what.

I also found out that the 9038's were only made from some time in 1984 till 1991.

tim

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
http://www.titanstore.com/info/T9C344 made in the USA thank goodness.

just bought one for my Lull 13:00 x 24 12 ply. load rating 13,900 lb

13:00 x 24 is 12,300 lb.

your machine does not weight 14,000 lb. in weighs 23,000+

My 844 Lulls say 22,000+ so if I deduct the 8,000 lb capacity the thing should then weigh 14,000? Not happening. I have a 12 ton tag I bough new in 1980. Trouble is 12 ton is the gross weight. Took me years to realize it when I looked at max capacity of tires I knew I was toast. It is really 24 - 6 so I really can carry 18,000. I just pay to have it moved now and the 1044 is 30,000+

Just think if the machine has a capacity of 9,000 lb and it only weighs 14,000 lb.:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Deere450c

I know all about the trailer ratings. I find it quite amazing how few people realize a trailer GVWR includes the trailers own weight. My 450C weights right at 17,000 lbs if you kick the dirt off of it and on my 12 ton trailer it is about maxing it out, the trailer is 6600 lbs empty.

Well I guess the 4 tire quotes I have so far they have been trying to sell me cheap tires. I will find a Titan dealer around here and have a chat with them. I have looked at the tires on the machine including the one almost new tire and I cannot find a max weight rating on them.

Yesterday I fixed acouple minor things on the machine and hopefully this morning I can get the new batteries in it. Even though the machine is useable it leaks fluid bad. The people that had the machine mostly worked in dirt, etc., and didn't care how bad it leaked. I would like to have it usable in the next few days so I have to get busy on it.

It was asked earlier as to the engine in it. It is the turbocharged Ford (New Holland) engine. The Deere would have been my first choice but the price was right so I can't complain too much. I also found out its a 1989 model year machine and the previous owner thought it was early 80's.

tim

Last edited:

Speedpup

Occupation
I called my dealer for a tire last year and said give me a Goodyear. He then told me all he had was a Chinese tire:mad: and that GY bailed on making them even though the last one was made in Indonesia:spaz

I did a search and found that Titan was made in USA and they bought out Goodyear. The tire list for 973 on the site but it was 525+ mounting and calcium. Chinese tires were 375 but it was not worth it to me to buy them. For the years the tires will be on them and to keep people working here in the USA I could not doit. They can't even make sheet rock so no need for me to be up with a load on a Chinese tire. The Chinese tire also seems not to be UV stable. Every time I rub my hand against it it looks like I was playing with a charcoal bricket:pointhead

Check your rims if they are rotted. You may be able to get the non-corrosive stuff were have discussed here in the past it is the same price as calcium. Do they have foam? I don't ike the idea of swinging the weight of the foam vs a liquid.

I'll have to look on my Chinese tire to see if it has a rating on it compared to the Titan.

I have had my Lulls 85, 86, 87, 90 or 92 since new or a few hundred hours and I am doing seals on three of them. As you know there are tons on these machines. With some help from ATCO and others it was easy.

13:00 x 24 rim was 450 and made in FL. I
ll be buying a bunch of rims in the not to distant future.:(

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it? Post a picture.

Last edited:

Deere450c

here are acouple of pictures of the machine. I need to get the previous owners name off the boom, hence the paintshop majic.

Tomorrow depending on the weather I hope to pull the leaky boom cylinder off the machine and get it apart.

Here are acouple of pictures.

tim

Attachments

• IMG_0094a.jpg
    IMG_0094a.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_0095a.jpg
    IMG_0095a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,549
Last edited:

Speedpup

Occupation
Tires don't look shot? Nice machine. Flush al the fluids asap even the hydraulic would be my move. Do both cylinders ASAP. I did one hoist cylinder one on mine in the winter then figured the other side looked OK. I said I'll do in when warmer in a month. Doubt I used it 10-20 mintues in the yrad and the other side blew out.:eek::pointhead

Looks like you need a mirror. Make sure the backup alarm is working good.

Not many skytrac's around here but they are the biggest seller I believe in this country.

Look here for pricing and ebay which is usually lower. Google the machine and a few more sites will pop up with pricing.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...x=exact&GUID=44c514138a014cfe8f52b06b8b0acd6f

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...id=1038&GUID=7DD7B1E9463D4772A1A459ADE4E552E7

what is in the tires for ballast foam, calcium or?

I just looked and new 8042 has just air in it no ballast so you may have just air.

Last edited:

Deere450c

The tires are all ballasted with calcium chloride. I think the 3 or 4 miles I roaded it scuffed the tires up enough the cleats stand out more and I will probably do a wait and see how they hold up. I am not going to be using it a great deal so they will last awhile.

Since I really need to have the machine usable for the next couple weeks I am going to hold off on taking the cylinder off of it. I won't be lifting anything real heavy or high.
The cylinder closest in the pictures was rebuilt mid summer last year and still has the little paper tags stuck to it from the place that did the rebuild.

While its not a cherry machine it will do me more than fine. I checked out many places online as for pricing. Basically the folks that had the machine needed it moved, they bought a new one this year and this one was sitting at a place they rented to store equipment and were clearing out of. The batteries were shot and it needed really only one hose and of course the cylinder rebuilt. With new batteries you bump the key and its running.

Heck it even had probably 35 or so gallons of diesel fuel in it.

tim