• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skytrak 8042 Hydraulic problem. (De-clutch)

Skytrak Jake

Hello All,

Please help. I have an older Skytrak 8042. I want to say its a 1996. Everything runs great but i have this intermediate problem around 50% of the time i drive it. When driving in first gear it will go out of gear then it will pop back in gear.(de-clutching i think). In second gear the problem is worst as in it will not go back in gear as much. When im having this problem if i operate the boom up and down while im driving it operates fine. Stop operating the boom the forklift de-clutches. The other 50% of the time it works perfectly. Thanks in advance for your help.

skata

Not sure what transmission those have , but have you checked the fluid level?

Skytrak Jake

I have to prior SN 9909 transmission. I have checked then changed the transmission fluid and filter. With the same intermediate problem still there.

tractormech

What's your machine serial number? We need that to troubleshoot the machine. I'll be glad to try to help. Some transmissions are checked idling and it could be starving for oil. If electric shift a relay or pressure switch could be bad.

tractormech

Tell me this-does it have an electric shifter that you rotate the knob to change gears or is it two levers on the dash?

tractormech

There is a screen on the suction pipe on some of those that can get clogged up. I'll need to know the transmission to be certain though. Also-did you check the oil level idling? On a Clark tranny it makes a big difference. Low oil level or a stopped up screen will cause the problem you have. Does it have a switch for the parking brake or is it manual?

Skytrak Jake

Oil level while idling is good. I did not check the screen. Ill check and clean the screen this weekend. It has an electrical switch for the parking break.

Skytrak Jake

I ordered the screen and gasket right after my message yesterday. Not sure if it will come in on time to do it this weekend but i will get the SN for you this weekend.

tractormech

Does it have a transmission disconnect switch? By that I mean a toggle switch that when you engage it and step on the brake the transmission kicks out of gear-let up on the brake and it goes back in gear. Also a picture of the tranny and one of the ID plate on the tranny would be helpful,

Skytrak Jake

The Serial Number is 5375

Sorry i just received your message. Ill have to get the tranny info this coming weekend. The screen should come in today so i will install it this weekend.

farmoperater

We have an older 8042, it is doing the same thing with the exemption that it run fine until I turn the wheels deep, let the boom down, retract boom, or tilt boom forward. Moving straight, raising boom, extending boom, or tilting back, everything runs fine. This is a manual machine with toggle switch park break, and 2 shift levers in the dash. Thanks for any help

Skytrak Jake

ok we have the same machine with close and maybe the same problem. Mine also starts acting up with the wheels turned fully. Ill keep you posted if the screen fixes it.

Skytrak Jake

jjolives29, Wow it has been 4 years since i started looking for solutions to these problem. My machine still does the same thing but not as often.

Tractormech, If you could shed some light on the above problem D-clutch problem that would be amazing. I currently have the machine all apart replacing all hydraulic seals and 3 new rods. This machine also starts going really slow ( low flow rate) on all functions after around 2 hours of use. I can still pickup 7k lbs but the lift is very slow. after cool down it acks fine again. I did install all the test ports. On test port 1 the manual states (With engine at idle fully retract boom extend cylinder and hold. Check pump maximum pressure.) acceptance criteria is 2950psi but the highest i could achieve is 2500psi. the pump is original and the pressure adjustment was screwed all the way in. I have ordered a new pump.