• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skytrak 6036 starts hard when temp below 60 deg

fastback88

I just bought a2000 Sky trak with 4000 hrs and has the Cummins engine and it starts hard when its 60 deg or colder have to crank at least 30 sec or more.
From what I can tell the Cummings does not have glow plugs. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fix? My friend has the same lift with 7000 hrs
and it fires right up down to 30 degs
Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Most/some Cummins have a "intake heater grid" mounted between the intake manifold and the intake pipe.. it will have 2 wires going to it.. it super heats the air for easier starting.
maybe yours isn't working..
You never stated what engine you have..
a heater grid can be installed if you don't have 1..

Delmer

I'll second pumpguy. The grid heater draws a lot of amps so it will heat up a loose or corroded connection fast and not work. The high amp draw makes it pretty easy to determine if it's working. The battery voltage should drop noticeably when it's working.

60 is pretty warm for needing a grid heater though, could check the timing, or is it still running on the tank of fuel it came with? might try fresh fuel.

Are you getting mist out of the exhaust for the whole 30 seconds while it's cranking? does it crank the same speed as your friend's?

fastback88

The lift has new starter ,new battery's and fresh tank of fuel. yes I would say it turns over the same speed. I don't think it has a grid heater The place where I think it would be there is no wires. I will do more checking tomorrow. 65 deg and up it starts instantly