• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skidsteer rock/skeleton bucket…Any luck?

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
I have about 20-25 yards of loose stoney soil I removed to prep for sidewalks and the clients want to try and use some to level low spots and make a small berm, as well as use the bigger stones to build up and support some steeper banks and ditches….the stones in the soil are useful to the clients and I wouldn't mind getting them clear when I need to grade with the leftover spoils…

I am wondering about borrowing or renting a skeleton bucket to do this, has any one had luck with this? I am only looking to separate the stones that are about 3-4 inches and bigger. is worth the effort, or will i just be spending the day rattling my bucket and filling my face with dust.

any thoughts would be great

cdm123

They have there place, it depends on how well the soil will flow with out excessive manually shaking the bucket.

Todd v.

I've never used one but would think if the soil is clean and dry it should fall through pretty good.

hmearth

I have one for my ctl and l avoid it as much as possible and now i just open my 6 in 1 bucket a couple of inches and rattle the dirt out

ironjunkie

I tried one out here and was not very impressed at all, but for only 25 yards or so, it will get the job done. Grass, sticks/roots, and top soil will really block the tines up and if it's a little bit wet forget it.

JDOFMEMI

It is all about how you use it.

First off, don't get in a hurry. Just get a little bit in the bucket, clean that, and go again. Hurrying just blinds off the gaps and nothing falls out.

A little practice at skimming the pile will go a long ways. For your small pile it will work fine.

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
thanks for the info everyone…..I like Hmearth's trick with the 6-1 bucket. I will see what I come up with , and maybe I will get lucky and the client will decide they want to pay me to haul it off, and then buy in some new fluffy loamy topsoil….hahah yeah right. rock pickin here I come