• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skidder work

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Here are some pics of a JD 548E at my Uncle's cleaning up after an inexperienced forester wrecked the property. I haven't seen a skidder working up real close so I snaped some pics of it pulling wood to our chipper. My other Uncle is decent in a skidder from earlier days of running them for a logger so he stopped by and took over. Couldn't believe how fast they can move in the woods and where they an go. Looks like it can get old fast bashing from side to side in the cab though.

Attachments

• skidder 034.jpg
    skidder 034.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,564
  • skidder 027.jpg
    skidder 027.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,335
  • skidder 006.jpg
    skidder 006.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,938

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
more and an extra of our 5500

Attachments

• skidder 001.jpg
    skidder 001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • skidder 016.jpg
    skidder 016.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,218
  • skidder 024.jpg
    skidder 024.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,200

nedly05

NICE PICS DUDE,

Gotta love loggin' I have an old C-5 Tree Farmer, it's on this forum somewhere. I really like that 5500, its sharp, they are a great truck, very happy with ours. That bobcat hoe go on the trailer behind it? Nice equipment and nice pics!!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Nice easy ground to work on you can see where your going. Around here you pile up wood and put free firewood its gone in a day.

Its very rare for us to skid wood anymore because the mills or anybody that grinds the waste wood will take it because there is too much dirt. If the wood is covered in dirt they are not going to buy it or grind it.

Running a skidder you have to wear a seat belt because many guys have gotten thrown out of the cab on a rollover and killed because the skidder rollover the operator. A skidder will rollover fairly easy.

A grapple skidder is safer to run because the operator can stay in the cab a line skidder that uses a winch and choker cables is a little more dangerous with guys getting run over getting out of the cab.

If wood is skidded this is a more common skidder because it handles steeper terrian better.

Attachments

• 1597889_3Catskidder.jpg
    1597889_3Catskidder.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • 1597889_4Catskidder.jpg
    1597889_4Catskidder.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,309

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
yea when he got in it he looked for the seat belt and it has been removed, its not our skidder but removing a seat belt seems like a real bad idea, especially in a skidder.

PSDF350

yea logging is something, yes the excavator was on that trailer

It is that. Funny how much is taken out of you when in a skidder all day.

Heres a pic of mine hope you dont mind.

Attachments

• P9150004ff.jpg
    P9150004ff.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,135

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
That is a nice looking truck.

Logging is one of my passions. I have always found logging equipment to be interesting. Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup

nedly05

It is that. Funny how much is taken out of you when in a skidder all day.

get tossed all over the cab going for a hitch, cut a hitch, hook up the hitch, get tossed all over the cab going back out to the landing, drop the hitch, unhook it, and start all over again.......GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jazak

Do i see a Vermeer chipper??? Those things are the biggest POS ever made:pointhead ...hopefully it was just a rental...any wya NICE 5500 & Bobcat mini:D

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
its been good to us, we tried a morbark 2400 and it was terrible, wouldn't chip for xxxx,barely ran half the time, real pos....bandit dealer wouldn't work with us and the vermeer dealer gave us a month long demo, they definatly earned our business and the machine has been good for the occasional chipping we do.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey Jaz, our guy runs Vermeers 6 days and half the nights sometimes and has no dramas. He does only use the biggest models though. Aussie hardwoods are very tough on machinery.

PSDF350

get tossed all over the cab going for a hitch, cut a hitch, hook up the hitch, get tossed all over the cab going back out to the landing, drop the hitch, unhook it, and start all over again.......GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Whats not to love.:beatsme

jazak

Must have been an older 2400 like a 2002 or older because the new ones are awesome...great to hear you like the Vermeer though..people that I know that have bought them have had nothing but problems....