• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Vibratory Roller Attachment

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Been reading some of the threads on different attachments everyone is running. One that I could put to use that doesn't seem to get mentioned is a vibratory roller attachment. I seem to be doing quite a few road base/crusher dust drive ways, trails etc. I usually end up renting a 1K lbs plate or rent/hire a vibratory roller. Does anyone run one? Wondering as to your thoughts on these units. Are they worth it? Some of the brands seem to advertise a pretty decent specs in terms of compaction ability.

Tags

I had one years ago, it was a John Deere model, but I believe it was the same as a Bradco/Paladen, the operators manual on it was vague at best, it did do a good job compacting, but the I believe the seals failed, causing bearings to fail,and that ruined the exciter shaft. I took it apart and I took it to a machine shop, they rebuilt the exciter shaft and I put it back together and sent it down the road. I think I probably only put 10 hours on it at most before I had issues. I checked the oil for the bearings every time before I used it, the problem is when the seals fail the oil leaks to the inside of the drum so you have no idea the seals have failed. I really wanted to look into a plate compactor for the skid steer, because I think you can remove it from the wider skid steer plate and use on an excavator as well, but I’m not positive about that. I ended up finding a smaller Wacker RD 11 that works fine for what I do, but it just requires bring two pieces of equipment to one job…

63 caveman

Have a bobcat roller that broke the motor shaft in less than 50 hours, replaced motor (expensive $1600) and is leaking out of front seal in less than 10 hours. It works good but not happy with problems.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
These problems seem common. I have considered them before as well but they don't sound like they hold up. I researched them and I think MBW makes one of the best models https://www.mbw.com/products/compac...eel-attachments/skid-steer-roller-attachments

Last time I checked they were around 12K, may be more now. I wanted it so I didn't have to hump a twin drum around all the time but that is a lot of money.

Also Allied made a large plate compactor attachment that went on the front of a skid steer that looks interesting as well.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Thx. to everyone for your thoughts on this. Sounds like this attachment could be a problem child. Would come in so handy! Probably why you don't see a lot of them around.

Stickpro

We have the caterpillar cv18b have had it for 5 years now and have not had a problem yet. We run it on our 299d2, use it for compacting building pads and base rock on roads. We get 95% plus compaction on our building pads. Saves us from taking another piece of equipment to the jobs. Was a good purchase, they are up there on price.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Bought a Bobcat brand back in the early 2000's.

It worked well for the first 30-40 hrs compacting heavy clay gravel mix then the bearings went out. Replaced the bearings for $1200 parts only and ran another 30-40 hrs. The 3rd time the bearings went out we tried some aftermarket and they didn't last an hour.

Since buying trench rollers we have no reason for a skid steer roller anymore. For what we do and our soils a trench roller works great for compaction jobs that doesn't warrant bringing in our 84" padfoot. You can pick up a good used trench roller at auction for $5-7K. I have a Wacker I bought several years ago from Sunbelt for $2800 that is still rolling today for example.

The Bobcat roller is sitting partially dismantled at our yard - it's for sale cheap...:D