• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Quick Attach on Excavator

materthegreater

I'm a bit worried on the strength of yours as you're not using any huge side plates and materials from the excavator pins. A large skidsteer attachment can hold well over a ton especially when you include the attachment itself. Your steel material looks a bit thin to me too.
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. It's 4" by 1/2" thick angle. Only one way to find out if it holds.

Which other pieces did you think are too thin?

materthegreater

Does everything in Vermont rust ? Even in the summer under a roof, not exposed to road salt ?
Yes. Especially when it's been raining almost every day for the past month. I can't wait until I build my enclosed shop. Then at least I'll have a chance at humidity control.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I would suggest to overbuild. Two large thick side plates extending from each side of the pins to the top and bottom attachment cross beams. Then heavy side gussets for lateral support. When I built mine, I did not think my quality of welding was good enough nor do I have a big enough welder, so I had a Pro fab shop weld it up that specializes in heavy equipment.

What model excavator do you have?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
This is how we made the pallet forks set up. Note the two side plate to the two cross members, and the plate gussets. At the time it did not occur to me to weld it to a quick attach plate. I do know I was trying to watch the weight to maximize lift capacity.

Will your attachments go excavator style facing you or skidsteer style away from you?

Attachments

• Excavator Pallet Forks.jpg
    Excavator Pallet Forks.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Pallet forks.jpg
    Pallet forks.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 17

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Here’s mine i made(seems like i just posted this in a similar thread here)
its only forward facing. Odd using forward facing attachments at first.
IMG_6690.jpegIMG_4736.jpegIMG_4734.jpeg

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I would agree that operating the pallet forks is a bit strange and takes a few minutes to get the movement down.