• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

tree farmer

Rockhaul and Tree farmer what part of oregon are you guys in???
im in salem.

Tree Farmer resides in central Columbia Co. RockHaul: Our neighbor the late Roger Nichols who bordered some State forestry land had a property line dispute. He went to the assessor's office and discovered that Columbia Co. actually owned the land labeled Clatsop State forest here in CC county. In Tillamook and Clatsop counties the case is the same. There were three different contracts entered into by the the three counities over a period of a decade. Basically the counties deeded the management and fire protection of the bare tax foreclosed forest land to the Oregon Dept. of Forestry in exchange for revenue from future timber harvests. The ODF did a great job replanting the Tillamook burn, now the "Tillamook State Forest". Their former policy of falling every snag (potential roman candle) in the former burn, plus requiring loggers/ timberland owners to do likewise has caused problems for the cavity dwelling birds. The USFS also cut everything flat leaving no bird perches. No place for Hawks, owls ect.. Since there was a lack of natural rodent control the small reproduction got munched. One of the solutions tried was the placement of rat poison in the clearcuts. This was done in the Sweet Home Oregon area and maybe elsewhere. So what owl do you think suffered from this starting in the 1950's on. Since I am on the subject of forestry and wildlife, lets talk about what happened to the fish streams. In 1949 the States of Oregon and Washington got a 250,000 dollar Federal pass-through grant to clean logjams, woody material, and large rocks from fish bearing and spawning streams. The Master Fish Warden and later the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife cleaned streams with bulldozers from 1949 until 1981. In 1982 I worked on a International Paper job near where I live. The ODF still required at this time snag falling, and all woody material removed from the seasonal 2 foot wide stream channel. For example, I spent two days pulling rotten second and old growth logs out of the riparian area. Then the Bosses daughter threw every limb longer than 3 feet and bigger than 2 inches in diameter up onto the bank. Failure to comply would have resulted in a fine or worse, no operating permit issued for the next job. By 1987 the various agencies of the State of Oregon considered streams Holy, and actively placed the blame on the land owners, farmers and of course the logger.

rockhaul

Tree Farmer resides in central Columbia Co. RockHaul: Our neighbor the late Roger Nichols who bordered some State forestry land had a property line dispute. He went to the assessor's office and discovered that Columbia Co. actually owned the land labeled Clatsop State forest here in CC county. In Tillamook and Clatsop counties the case is the same. There were three different contracts entered into by the the three counities over a period of a decade. Basically the counties deeded the management and fire protection of the bare tax foreclosed forest land to the Oregon Dept. of Forestry in exchange for revenue from future timber harvests. The ODF did a great job replanting the Tillamook burn, now the "Tillamook State Forest". Their former policy of falling every snag (potential roman candle) in the former burn, plus requiring loggers/ timberland owners to do likewise has caused problems for the cavity dwelling birds. The USFS also cut everything flat leaving no bird perches. No place for Hawks, owls ect.. Since there was a lack of natural rodent control the small reproduction got munched. One of the solutions tried was the placement of rat poison in the clearcuts. This was done in the Sweet Home Oregon area and maybe elsewhere. So what owl do you think suffered from this starting in the 1950's on. Since I am on the subject of forestry and wildlife, lets talk about what happened to the fish streams. In 1949 the States of Oregon and Washington got a 250,000 dollar Federal pass-through grant to clean logjams, woody material, and large rocks from fish bearing and spawning streams. The Master Fish Warden and later the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife cleaned streams with bulldozers from 1949 until 1981. In 1982 I worked on a International Paper job near where I live. The ODF still required at this time snag falling, and all woody material removed from the seasonal 2 foot wide stream channel. For example, I spent two days pulling rotten second and old growth logs out of the riparian area. Then the Bosses daughter threw every limb longer than 3 feet and bigger than 2 inches in diameter up onto the bank. Failure to comply would have resulted in a fine or worse, no operating permit issued for the next job. By 1987 the various agencies of the State of Oregon considered streams Holy, and actively placed the blame on the land owners, farmers and of course the logger.
Sure!! What ever costs the contractor, purchaser more time and money at the time is protocol, and if it creates a do nothing government job, even better!!! We have let the insane operate the levers of power and it is going to be an uphill battle to throw em out!:Banghead

lg junior

Yarder.jpg

Has anyone seen my old yarder? It was a Skagit Hoist BU-30 mounted on a 668 Clark skidder.

furpo

Thanks all for the 717 info, much appreciated.

Do you guys know where in NZ that 120 ended up which was mentioned?

tree farmer

Thanks all for the 717 info, much appreciated.

Do you guys know where in NZ that 120 ended up which was mentioned?

The 120 first went to someone in N.California without the 116 inch Johnson yarding grapple. When things changed in California, the machine was sold overseas. The new owner went to Vernonia and got the grapple. I do not know if the Gwins know who has it.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
CL: RC Calvert and his wife Hazel were longtime family friends, dating back to during WWII. Hazel was my second grade teacher at the Apairy two room school house. I do remember the garret 15 and a couple different little dozers over the years. We often stopped to see if he had something new for sale. Our current stock trailer was one of his roadside deals.

Hazel is my grandfather's oldest sister. Don and my dad are close, and I believe Don may still be running a few cattle on the homeplace there. I spent many summers of my youth cutting firewood on that farm- and setting chokers behind whatever RC was yarding logs with on that particular day...... Seems like yesterday I was sitting at the dining room table eating Aunt Hazel's fried chicken and listening to RC and my dad tell Weyerhaeuser stories..... Don was at Wauna and has to be close to retirement now if not already. I came to Alaska and have sure missed alot the last few years.

Funny how this forum brings people together like this.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Does anybody have the overall dimensions for the BU-739 self propelled yarder? The basic dimensions in the brochures would be nice, as well as tube diameter etc. This is for a future scratch built model in 1/25th scale, as soon as I finish the Washington TL-6 I'm building now. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers:

Bill

The BU-739 was sold as a hoist only. There were 4 Skagit Self-Propelled mounting options for the BU-739. The Skagit T-100 SP and T-100HD SP were the lighter 100' options, and the T110 SP and T110HD SP were 110' bigger towers. Naturally the HD versions had longer, wider frames, heavier steer and driving axles, etc. I have all the literature and will need to dig it up. Here's a used equipment ad showing the lighter 7-guyline T-110 SP version of this combo (with Schuller steeing axles also). The BU-739 hoist seen here also has the optional slackpulling drum which is cool looking.

I have often considered building a BU-739 SP. I would personally build the most common version- the T-100HD SP with the Anderson Bolling steering axles (duals all the way around) and 8-guyline option. These are awesome, versatile, easy-moving machines and there is one here in Alaska (see post #75 in this thread) I would like to model. Actually there are lots in Alaska but most are mounted on T-110HD SP carriers and are very difficult to move over the highway (hoist and tube have to come off- so you have a 3-piece pain in the ass to deal with and need assembly shovels, etc on both ends of the move).

Attachments

• Skagit BU-739 on T110 SP (Ross 1986 #6412) (HEF).jpg
    Skagit BU-739 on T110 SP (Ross 1986 #6412) (HEF).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 2,269
Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Skagit T-100HD Tower Info

Here's some useful info on the T-100HD. These were custom units and the spec didnt mean too much- loggers could order carriers spec'd whatever they wanted. The width and tower tube spec will be pretty standard, everything else was up for grabs......

Attachments

• Skagit T-100HD Tower Specs 2 HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-100HD Tower Specs 2 HEF.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 2,193
  • Skagit T-100HD Tower Specs HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-100HD Tower Specs HEF.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 2,179
  • Skagit T-100HD Cover HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-100HD Cover HEF.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2,206
Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Skagit T-110HD Tower Info

Here's the same info for the Skagit T-110HD. As you can see this one will handle mainlines up to 1 1/2" so the Tower/Carrier will support a highlead hoist much larger than the BU-739, understanding that a 739 is a slackline hoist and is capable of 1 1/2" skyline, though most guys ran 1 3/8" skylines on them (for reach) anyway.

Attachments

• Skagit T-110HD Spec 1 HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-110HD Spec 1 HEF.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 2,215
  • Skagit T-110HD Cover HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-110HD Cover HEF.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,180
  • Skagit T-110HD Spec 2 HEF.jpg
    Skagit T-110HD Spec 2 HEF.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 2,172
Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Skagit BU-739 Slackline Yarder - Hoist

Here's some good modeling info on the BU-739 Hoist.

Attachments

• Skagit 739 spec 1 HEF.jpg
    Skagit 739 spec 1 HEF.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • Skagit 739 capacities HEF.jpg
    Skagit 739 capacities HEF.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,158
  • Skagit BU-739 Ad HEF.jpg
    Skagit BU-739 Ad HEF.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 2,262

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Here are a couple of BU-739 shots- one is a Brand-New BU-739 on T-100 Trailer at Ross Chehalis Wash in 1979. The other is a BU-739 on a T-100HD SP (new also) out of a Ross catalog from 1983. The SP machine was sold to Shirley Laird at Gold Beach Oregon and eventually the 739 Hoist came off and a Thunderbird TY-90 Hoist went onto this carrier/tower.

Either way good photos for modeling.

Attachments

• Skagit BU-739 on T-100HD SP HEF.jpg
    Skagit BU-739 on T-100HD SP HEF.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,221
  • Skagit BU-739 and Eric HEF.jpg
    Skagit BU-739 and Eric HEF.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,265

Gyppo Logger

The BU-739 / T-110HD SP is my all time favorite yarder. On of these perched on the top of a mountain surrounded by felled and bucked old growth was truely a sight to behold. One would have to go back to the days of the steam skidders to match such a scene of power and glory. It is unfortunate that in this day and age both have been retired to the dinosaur file.

I agree..... this would be a great model project. Thank you for the inspiration and the memory.

Any ideas on where to find the last remaining units; spring and summer make great seasons for field research.

dwlog

Occupation
Gypo turned construction consultant
Clean BU70 trailer mount Eugene

This BU70 has been re-powered with what looks like a Cummins in-line 6, replacing the original Detroit 6V71. This is a radical conversion requiring re-locating fan and radiator. The entire engine enclosure under the cab has been re-configured, but looks clean. Since this was done I wonder did she go over on the radiator side? If you know, I hope the operator survived the ride.

jjb

Was there any bu-80c's made with water brakes? And what would the line capacity be? S/N c-211 if that helps. if anyone can help let me know.

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
Magazine Ad, 1967. What a neat shot, I had to crop and enlarge for a better look at that Skagit slackline machine- with 110' tower and on a tank! Boy, I'll bet this one would pull! Looks like maybe a MacMillan Bloedell operation.

Crown Operation, Nitnat. That's my grandpa's truck #1. My dad saw the picture and recognized the equipment, and of course the truck.

tree farmer

Skagit clutch actuator

First an example on the machine Then a repaired one on a set of parallels to insure proper alignment of mounting ears. Otherwise you will have to fix a broken mount. This device had a broken return spring. The air cylinder contains a 4.5 inch OD polypak which is .5 inches wide and .4 inches deep at the flair.

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 2,207
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 2,204
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 2,217
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 2,223
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 2,217

tree farmer

Broken actuator return spring

The spring was broken into 5 pieces and had screwed itself together. It would normally be about 8 inches long, by 1.75 inches OD, by 1.25 ID, with a wire thickness of .25 inches.

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 2,194

furpo

Tree Farmer, these appear to be the same unit as that on a PSY200 main pulling clutch. This is the clutch under the cab. One detail is different though. The PSY200 unit has an additional fitting on the top of the cylinder so it is a two way ram. Air pressure is applied to the top to dis engage the clutch. This would be better than broken springs.

It is important that these clutches are adjusted correctly. Does your clutch have an adjustment bolt on the dead end of teh band?