• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Size loader?

jbd153

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I want to make sure I rent a big enough piece for the job.

I have to move 100 yd of stone 300 feet as I cannot get a triaxle up my driveway due to incline/hairpin turn at the begginning and I am fixing up the stone portion of my driveway.

How long would this take with a bobcat 750 or do I need something bigger like a 2.5 yard bucket.

Thanks!

jbd153

Yes I'm renting I'd rather get a skid loader due to maneuverability. I've used them in the past just not to move that much material and I want to rent one that I can do it in 8 hours.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
150 ton is a lot of trips with a little bucket. Too bad you.couldn't get a back hoe. All we have are bobcat machines and they are not very fast. Have to eat your lunch on the fly

colson04

Depends on bucket volume, travel speed and operator efficiency.

I've moved large volumes of dirt with a skid steer and I can attest that it is an all day affair. I wasn't limited on hours as I own the machine, but given a choice I would have gotten a bigger machine.

For giggles, let's look at the numbers:

74" wide general purpose bucket:
9.7 cu ft struck volume= 0.344 cubic yard
100 yards ÷ 0.344 cub.yard/trip = 291 trips.

Standard travel speed is 6.6mph=34,848 ft/hr.

600 ft round trip, equals 58 round trips per hour.

291 trips needed / 58 trips/hr=5.017 hours. That is minimum theoretical number of hours machine physically has to be moving at hauling stone.

If you figure 30% of your time your are scooping, leveling, spreading, turning, etc than 5.017÷0.7 = 7.16 hours to move 100 yards 300 ft away on a standard travel machine.

If the rental has the hi-speed option or an 84" bucket (or both), then you could get it done faster, theoretically.

Operator also has to be smooth and efficient, and zero interruptions during this job.

2.5 yard machine would only be necessary if you wanted it done in a couple hours. But that gets to be a pretty big machine at that point. A smaller loader like a Deere 304/344 would be pretty efficient at hauling this material and small enough to still be nimble in tight spaces. They have about a 1 yard bucket.

Just my .02

jbd153

Yeah I suppose I'll get the one with a 1-yard bucket then I have to rent it for 2 days because I have other things I need to do and I didn't want to spend the money on a bigger machine because I don't need a bigger one the second day but it is what it is...