• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Single axle dump trucks

keif

Hello,

I have a small 2ton excavator and do what ever I can for who ever I can with it. Lol. Pulling bushes, leveling pads, ditches, grading, trails, etc.

I've had a few jobs recently where I could have charged to remove top soil and then sold it on other projects...

The city has some nice looking F350 dump trucks but all I ever see in them is limbs.

The Izuzu low wall dump trucks look almost perfect but I never see any companies around here using them.

Any chance of finding a decent old dump truck for 8k or less? I think the last one that brought me rock was a single axle International with 8ton capacity.

The new Izuzu's arent terrible new, but with that comes the taxes, higher insurance etc. So I'd rather buy something older outright.

Any advise is welcome. I'm in a rural area so it wouldnt be in traffic much and will mainly stay within 30miles of home.

Thanks

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ton trucks will net you around a three ton load limit, will get a "5" yard bed but putting that to them is brutal. A 450/550 Ford or a Top Kick GM will take the five ton but are pricey if go anywhere near to or even new.
Two ton trucks are used and abused by point of sale by previous owner, city and state trucks end up salted in Northern climates and just run to trash south. A decent used GMC Top Kick, Chevrolet Kodiak series of the 90s are still selling for close to $20,000 here, International/Navistar similar for same size series. Can find repairable trucks but will end up spending at least same end figure by time have bought all necessities.

Going Silverado Ton 3500, Ford ton F350Dual Rear Wheel trucks or even Dodge ton trucks is a gambit of what can find but most will still range in the $12-15,000 mark. At least in MO, other states will vary and not knowing where you are at does not help.

keif

Thanks for the reply. Eastern VA/NC boarder. Very flat, 2 snows a year and currently way too humid!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Be looking KY, TN areas, try to stay clear of the rube used truck lots if can, maybe hit Craigslist Eastern cities KY and TN. Some need a "Little" work to get closer to right, others you can tell they will not ever be right again.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
There is a FB group "Single Axle Dump Trucks" that has some interesting things, amongst all the garbage.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I've been sort of looking for a single axle dump for a couple of years to use around the ranch. I spend way too much time moving material or whatever with the tractor. The $5k to $8k dumps I've seen pictures of and one in person are basically old beat up wrecks.

Legdoc

DMiller, I have a ex county 87' F-700 gasser that looks close. Girling brake system is a pita. Otherwise it is a very handy "ranch" truck.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Or:

White Truck.jpg

I have moved the bed to another truck. It is presently a cab & chassis.
Original miles 59000
Within 5000 miles a professionally rebuilt tall block 427 Steel forged crank, massive cooling system, long bores for long pistons with extra oil control ring, big valves, big cam.
New clutch, pressure plate, radiator, tires.
Eaton 5 speed trans,
Eaton two speed rear differential.
Titled 26000 GVWR
Registered 25999 GVWR
Highway ready, I drove it today at highway speed. A very pleasant truck to drive.
PTO, hydraulic pump, reservoir & valve intact
$3000. FIRM

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Almost rather have the Bendix Disc brake Juice brakes and rust bucket than the Girling!! Park side works good when work, otherwise a leaking snotty mess most of the time! Old 366 still runs OK, has leaks everywhere that need attention, has all manner of salt cancer been chasing where should have donor on the way.

suladas

I think your best bet to find something in that low of price range is a single axle on air, more requirements to operate so at least here they don't fetch as much money as by that point most people just want a tandem. Maybe better off with a dump trailer even for that price range?

Welder Dave

Back in 2008 I bought a GMC Topkick with hyd. brakes and grain box with twin cylinder hoist for $5500, 177,000 original kms. and 30,000lb GVW. Box was rusted from hauling feed but almost new front tires and decent rears. has a 6.0 L/366 cu. EFI engine so none of the notorious carb. problems. Put a new distributor in last year and new fuel pumps this year but about $300 total for aftermarket parts. I use it for a water truck now but hauled several hundred yards of sand from my neighbors field. Grain box is too light for sand and dirt but I thought the price was too good to pass up. Only noticeable problem is 3rd. gear requires double clutching but that's not a big deal. I bought a tandem dump truck in 2015 for $8000. It was a former plow truck but the frame isn't rusted. It's 94 Ford L9000 with a Cummins M11. It does the heavy hauling now.

richard r

Single axle dumps are common on the farm sales because farmers don't use them much for grain anymore. I saw two trucks sell last winter that were in running condition and sold for less than $1000 each. 30 or more years old with gas engines.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Or:

View attachment 222985

I have moved the bed to another truck. It is presently a cab & chassis.
Original miles 59000
Within 5000 miles a professionally rebuilt tall block 427 Steel forged crank, massive cooling system, long bores for long pistons with extra oil control ring, big valves, big cam.
New clutch, pressure plate, radiator, tires.
Eaton 5 speed trans,
Eaton two speed rear differential.
Titled 26000 GVWR
Registered 25999 GVWR
Highway ready, I drove it today at highway speed. A very pleasant truck to drive.
PTO, hydraulic pump, reservoir & valve intact
$3000. FIRM
I sold it today. I held out for full price, but ended up $300 short with a promise for Friday. I'll tell you later.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Single axles don't really make sense for most of us. A tandem hauls twice as much in the same time. I choose a single cause truck only no CDL needed under 26000 LBS, but I have a CDL, so that doesn't make sense. They go in rough terrain where a tandem won't go. I can use it like a pickup. I can haul logs, wood, lumber, trash, construction debris, old tires scrap, and my list goes on. Plus I tow a 10 ton trailer

Jonas302

Lots of single axle trucks under 10 tho have to take your time and look Honestly though comparing a 20 year old truck to a brand new Isuzu isnt going to work you really have to decide what way you want to go, working on something or having new and just running it
You would have to put a gun to my head to buy an old carburated gas dump truck over one ton size for work purposes I've drove enough of those gutless gas hogs

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And parts issues arise with older than the dirt they haul equipment, if do not know or can readily scab on parts that are available can be a maintenance expense headache. I spend considerable time locating and installing have to use parts in my machines. Ford and GM got out of Medium duty for a time where the parts for the earlier units are getting scarce

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
And parts issues arise with older than the dirt they haul equipment, if do not know or can readily scab on parts that are available can be a maintenance expense headache. I spend considerable time locating and installing have to use parts in my machines. Ford and GM got out of Medium duty for a time where the parts for the earlier units are getting scarce
I have found that to be a problem for a few parts. Never did find rubber engine mounts for the old C65.