• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Silo collapses, kills excavator operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
RIP man, at least it didn't hit the school...but like rino said what was he thinking...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Man that would suck watching that think coming at you with no where to go.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
God Bless Him....But you CANT go there. It had disaster written all over it!

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
God grant him peace and eternal rest.

dynahoescott

I have demolished many and various structures over the years, and I have to say I pushed the envelope on more than one occasion. Luckily for me,God was sitting on my shoulder and it always worked out fine, that being said the only way I would ever attempt THAT job with THAT rig is if I had enough material to bench myself up to about 75 to 80 percent behind the silo height reach up about three quarters of the way and walk into it and guide it in the direction you want it to go. However I must say brick structures are hard to demolish once they are rendered unstable, and like a regular 2 family house demo, once you get to that last part, usually the rear wall and a part of the side wall your next move is going to be your last, so you have to make sure you are going to drop it in the old homes footprint. But I have to tell you if my boss told me I had to do the job like that with that little machine I would definitely walk away.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
I'm of the opinion that where that happened they have no regulations regarding such work to ensure safety.

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Sorry.

Hello.

No matter, what, he was an operator, one of our own.

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
no matter if it was lack of experience or just plain negligence no one deserves that type of ending to thier life.

RIP

wolf44

Sorry you guys I don't see it any other way than gene pool correction. This clown would have got somebody else hurt if he had not got a Darwin award for his clever work practices

dynahoescott

Sorry you guys I don't see it any other way than gene pool correction. This clown would have got somebody else hurt if he had not got a Darwin award for his clever work practices

Brutal, Wolfyboy, brutal and totally primative. You are a , wildman, no disrespect my friend.

cat943

Occupation
loader and excavator operator
A quick look at the video shows that he did have an earth platform behind the structure and more likely than not he tried to weaken it before he pushed it. as always it pays to watch what you are doing…

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
It appears that the earth platform may have actually steered the silo towards him....RIP

Colorado Digger

Wow, rough comment for someone who has passed. you must be mr. perfect incapable of making mistakes. everbody does stuff they regret and that poor fella payed the ultimate price, try showing some compassion instead of saying something stupid. i think your comment is a bunch of b.s. i would prefer not hearing any more crap like that.. please.. get a clue:pointhead

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Wow, rough comment for someone who has passed. you must be mr. perfect incapable of making mistakes. everbody does stuff they regret and that poor fella payed the ultimate price, try showing some compassion instead of saying something stupid. i think your comment is a bunch of b.s. i would prefer not hearing any more crap like that.. please.. get a clue:pointhead

Couldn't of said it better myself:drinkup

Status
Not open for further replies.