• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Side sloping in a D6T

Ehkart

So I have a question; is there a limit to the angle a D6 wide pad can be on? Can I cut a 1:1 safely? 2:1? I've been told that these machines can safely tilt to almost 60 degrees but that sounds pretty sketchy.

tctractors

The common talk about working side slope on most forum sites is the "Wallnut pucker factor" but I myself find the slope limit factor the pain and brusing that you get to your sides from trying to keep your body in a cocked up position, some tractors are better to sit in on side slopes than others, a full body harness or a ratchet strap to glue yourself into the seat with would be a great aid??? a D6 High Drive is a very competant side slope tractor, but it all depends on the muck you are trying to hang off, 60deg is getting painfull on your side but not undo-able.

Ehkart

Hah! "Walnut Pucker Factor"! I love it. I have been looking for official information for some time now but it's looking as though there really isn't any and that's fine. I hadn't done much sloping before this job and I guess I just have to get used to that crazy uneasy feeling of being sideways. I did a 2:1 after postin yesterday and while it felt grossly sketchy, looking at it afterward it seemed not bad at all haha. Still it's a messed up feeling when you hit a rock on the high side an the tractor tips further to the low side :) I'm trying to condition myself without becoming complacent ;)

ih100

The common talk about working side slope on most forum sites is the "Wallnut pucker factor" but I myself find the slope limit factor the pain and brusing that you get to your sides from trying to keep your body in a cocked up position, some tractors are better to sit in on side slopes than others, a full body harness or a ratchet strap to glue yourself into the seat with would be a great aid??? a D6 High Drive is a very competant side slope tractor, but it all depends on the muck you are trying to hang off, 60deg is getting painfull on your side but not undo-able.

Sorry, Tony, 60 degrees sideways? I'd like to see that.

Last edited:

bigshow

If I'm not mistaken, A 1:1 slope is 45* or 100%, generally the dozer will slide downhill before tipping over. The wider the pads and track gauge the better chances of the dozer "sticking" to the slope, the type of material is generally the ultimate deciding factor as to whether or not the dozer will stay sideways on the slope. Starting at the top and working your ways down will usually generate a windrow that will also help keep the dozer from sliding, and if it does tip over, gravity will only take it so far.

Ehkart

That's the information that I've always had. Thanks as it helps considerably to have like minded professional opinions to confirm my suspicions. I love running my CATs and it's great to be armed with as much information as possible.

tctractors

On real steep Batters (slopes) it's best to take them on the diaginal (is that how you spell it) path and see how the tractor sticks to the muck, slowly working your way along the slope only taking small amounts of material forward at a time, I have seen those little Komatsu D20-1 pat blade tractors on some untrue angles working around bridges etc and producing a first rate finish, working on side slopes is more to do with the soil and weather conditions than most people realize as already said the tractor will slide some before it gets to the roll over point.

Dane Myran

We have a couple D6T's and neither one are a wide pad. In ours on good material, you can run up, down, sideways, spin circles whatever on a 2:1 all day long. Now thats only on good material. I'll even run our D7Rs on the same slopes in the same manner pretty easily. Our D8's start to feel a little uneasy on a 2:1 as they usually start to slide about there. A 2:1 really isn't that steep once you've been on a few of them. I agree that a 60 degree slope sideways????? I won'y buy that without actually seeing it.

Hope this helps.

Dane

Ehkart

That helps a ton. The main issue I have with sloping is inexperience. I'm gaining a lot of confidence in the machine already and thankfully to learn I've only had the best material on site. It's just a weird feeling being that off-kilter I guess. Thanks to everyone for their input!

ih100

Some funny things can happen to crawlers when you get them on an extreme side-slope. First is weight transfer onto the downhill track. You think the uphill track is planted and carrying weight, then you try to steer and find you can't as the uphill track isn't carrying much at all. Then you start to drift downhill and unless you've got a substantial windrow below you, you can't do anything about it. Then when you get near the limit, even with a correctly adjusted, or even slightly too-tight track, you find the idler trying to walk out of the track chain, and you end up with the chain jammed between the idler and chassis and no way of driving down off the slope. And if you overfill the sump to compensate, you're okay until the oil can't drain out of the turbo due to the angle, and if you don't overfill the sump you starve the pump. However, unless you're very unlucky, none of this will happen on a 2:1 with good material under you.

Kman9090

We've seen alot of finals go out in D6T's when they are working 2:1 slopes as the steep angle transfers all the oil to the other side. Seems to be a bigger problems in the T models as Cat runs 50 weight oil now instead of 90 and it gets by the seals. As for being stable yes a D6T should be stable on a 2:1 and a good operator should be able to keep it on a 1.5:1 but a 1:1 I think should be worked up and down or at a diagnal. This all depends on the material as well though.

JDOFMEMI

A standard guage D-6H or R will run on a 1.5:1 with a good operator even in questionable conditions. A 1:1 is putting man and machine to the limits. I have sidehilled 1:1 slopes up to 100' of vertical height with a D-4C, but had to be cabled off to keep from sliding down, at least until there was enough trim for a decent windrow. It was nbopt at the tipping point, but was past the sliding point, in the sandy, cobbly soil.
When is doubt, work it on a diagonal with the nose uphill, not down. With the nose down, it gets hairy when it rolls up on the equaliser bar.
With a wide pad 6, I have not seen a slope too steep.