• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

side dump opinions

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey guys,

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a side dump trailer one of these days. I do a lot of demo work, buildings and concrete, and also would be used for dirt, gravel and some rock hauling.

I like the looks of the Jet side dumps. so I have been thinking about that brand. I know there are a few other good ones out there. parts for any brand I don't think would be a problem. So I am looking for some one that has been around a couple different brands. Let me know your likes or dislikes. What would you buy again?

Thanks in advance.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Side dumps are away faster than tip over axle trailer and really come into their own when multiple trailers are pulled like road train use. The down side is there tare weight

PS, I have never owned them, only worked on site with them at both ends

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Side dumpers are very nice in some applications...big rocks tend to roll back under the wheels....and sticky loads can tip them...but they are very nice in general...oh and they don t work well dumping in a pit... rebar concrete is bad on tires (roll back will cut tires)

Shimmy1

We have a Manac, nice trailer and no regrets. Johnson Trailer sells them. I've always liked the looks of a Smithco or Trail King. I looked at Jet when they were at Big Iron, I thought some things could be better, but there are some things on our Manac that could be as well.

If you've never pulled a sidedump, they take some getting used to. You always need to be bent towards the side you're dumping, so you can back away from the pile. Demolition debris is the worst, tends to fall back into the tires unless you're backing up as you're dumping, but then you spread it all over. Having a loader to push up (or into a pit) as you're hauling is very desirable, also comes in handy when you get stuck. :)

rondig

Occupation
excavation
We have a trail king...we like it...what shimmy says is bang on....with a loader or a hoe...and a good driver...they are unbeatable..but first time guys get hooked a lot at first...you learn quickly what not to do...took me a couple days...and with class 3 rocks i still get a roll back from time to time...but rarely now. Way better than end dumps.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Whilst I'm not familiar with the trailers you have in the States the 3 main types of trailers here are;1, side folds down before the bin rolls over which are good for rock, demolition etc. 2; deforming bin where one side flattens as the bin rolls over, great for moving dirt,gravel etc( less tare weight) and a 3rd type with high sides, part of the side folds down used to cart rubbish to landfill, usually B double's. With all side tippers the drivers need to use their noggins in the unloading process. The good ones don't have any problems with material going under the wheels even with 4 trailer combinations and dump the the last trailer first and so on to the lead trailer.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey Shimmy, how smooth is the Manac when it dumps? I drove a old Circle R a few years ago and that one hit pretty hard at the end of the cylinder travel. I have good service at Johnson in Fargo over the years. I would buy from them again.

I like the trail king trailers as well. Do you guys think there is any benefit to the Trunnion mounted cylinder that Jet uses? or just a sales pitch?

Shimmy1

Hey Shimmy, how smooth is the Manac when it dumps? I drove a old Circle R a few years ago and that one hit pretty hard at the end of the cylinder travel. I have good service at Johnson in Fargo over the years. I would buy from them again.

I like the trail king trailers as well. Do you guys think there is any benefit to the Trunnion mounted cylinder that Jet uses? or just a sales pitch?
I like the way it tips. In the past, I've used the little jerk at the end to get some sticky stuff to fall out.
In case anyone wants to see a Jet, here is a 30 second clip.
I'm not an engineer, but I could be convinced that trunnion mount might help with stability? Probably not enough to matter, a good driver can adjust in bad conditions. It also helps in design, the tub doesn't have to be strong enough at the top to carry the load when dumping. The trick with a sidedump when dumping large rocks or concrete is when you've committed to dumping, you have to follow through. Trying to stop is what gets you in trouble with heavy stuff. I try and fill the bottom with smaller stuff, so the big stuff comes off first. Also, when the big stuff hits the ground first, it can't fall into the tires. :cool:

Mother Deuce

I have pulled a Jet and I believe a Circle R. I liked the Jet it was a 4 axle. I really can't add much to what Shimmy has said. When you dump a side dump generally speaking you need to be committed to dumping it. Checking it or trying to put the down often does not end well. After the weight transfer starts as demonstrated on a dump one day... the trailer frame will come up to meet the body before body will come back down and ends up on it's side. The old timer I was working for at the time liked to occasionally dump on the "fly." He owned the truck, so occasionally we would string a load out. It always resulted in extreme blood pressure, white knuckles and upholstery off the driver seat being sucked off the cushion. Dump them in a shallow arc and back away from the slobber. On a dump if your working with dump trucks and pup trailers you need to mindful of where you dump so when they jackknife they have a spot to put the truck in. We had 3 side dumps and a dozen truck and trailers and you bought the beer if you fouled the dump. The Circle R had a flat bottom that clay stuck to like crazy. I spent 30 minutes mucking that flat spot out when we were hauling excavation material. If I was spending my own money, the trailer body would absolutely be a round bottom tub. I love the things they are fun and fast and the tailgate never leaks. Just think a little before you check that dump after you start it.Side Dump.jpg

Queenslander

The old timer I was working for at the time liked to occasionally dump on the "fly." He owned the truck, so occasionally we would string a load out. It always resulted in extreme blood pressure, white knuckles and upholstery off the driver seat being sucked off the cushion.
The door tippers we use here are a different design but we tip on the fly all the time, in fact that’s one of their biggest advantages.
The upholstery sucking moments happen when tipping out big rock and they roll out on to the door and pause briefly.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have watched some of the videos from Australia, some of your trailers look pretty interesting. I haven't seen those styles in the US. I am thinking the empty weight could get a little heavy.

Queenslander

Our Azmeb door tipper weighs around 9 metric tonnes to give a payload of about 23.5 tonnes with the truck we have.
The flex bowl tippers, ie. without door, are lighter and are preferred for hauling loose material like crushed rock, sand etc.