• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

shuttle cutout not working

chas357

Hello im back finally got honey do list caught up wife said go fix back hoe found a open diode replaced it put 12 volts directly to shuttle solenoid and did not hear a clunk as Alrman said to do.solenoid ohms out at 3.6 ohms was replaced at some time is not orig. where do I go from here? thanks Charlie

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Have you actually removed the solenoid & tested it?
If it hasn't been used for a while, the plunger in the solenoid may simply be gummed up.
There is also a plunger in the control valve.
With the solenoid removed, when you push the (CV) plunger in, you should feel it make contact with the dump valve inside the spool, about half way through it's travel.

franklin2

Not sure what type of backhoe you are working on, but I want to warn you to be careful when you take it off. I took the solenoid off my case 480c and almost lost a little detent ball. My complete solenoid spins as you move the shuttle lever back and forth, and there is a spring and a ball that gives you your detents when the lever is moved. It's very easy to lose this ball and possibly the spring also if you are not watching out. Might be wise to lay a sheet down on the ground before you take it apart in case it falls out. I had to use heavy wheel bearing grease to hold it back in place when I put it back together.

RDC_580C

If all you have is the coil, the Diode and 12v, then you need to make sure you are putting the 12v and Ground on the correct lines. The Coil could care less which wire goes where on it's own, but when you put that Diode in there then it becomes a polarized circuit and you need the 12v to go to the banded side of the Diode (the Cathode) and then Ground to the other (Anode) side. If you wire it up so it is the other way around, 12v to the Anode and Ground to the banded Cathode side, then the current just flows thur the Diode and the coil will never receive any to engage.

If you are testing the Coil alone, then it does not matter polarity wise, and it will move the same direction either way. If that's how you are testing it and hear nothing, then it's most likely all gunked up as alrman said.

chas357

Hello All. thanks for the tips I am very busy now but will get back to back hoe in a couple days. one concern I have is if I take solenoid off what can I screw up? willing to try shuttle is working ok also is replacing the top and lower pins and bushings that connect the boom assmb. to the rear frame a do it your self job? you guys have been a big help to me and I say thanks