• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Show Me Your 'Thumbs!'

tootalltimmy

Thumbs for Dummies Hint, this is how we keep you all from breaking expensive things!

Thanks for looking out for us. I appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts and tips. Good info.

When I bought my machine I had no idea what a progressive link thumb was. The extra range of motion would be handy.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Thanks for looking out for us. I appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts and tips. Good info.

When I bought my machine I had no idea what a progressive link thumb was. The extra range of motion would be handy.

I think you ngot it sorted timmy, i think your machine with the thumb rake combo looks great and really useful:drinkup

Aardvark

Heres mine

Heres a couple of pics of the thumb on my 016.
It's not a fancy hydraulic job but works just as well. :tong
The digger gets a rest and I get to stretch a bit when I get off to open it or pack it away.:)
I designed and fabricated it for my 015 a few years ago and modified it for my new 016 that I got in December.:professor
The new design is stronger and packs away snug against the dipper so it doesn't get in the way at all.
Makes handling rock, scrub/brush a breeze and works well in conjunction with my sieveing when used on demo/rubbish/building waste
Everyone that I work for loves it. Makes the job much easier and quicker for me so I can get to the next one.:scool

Attachments

• 07032010819.jpg
    07032010819.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 31102008355.jpg
    31102008355.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 07052010877.jpg
    07052010877.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,078

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Looks like it works well for you Errol. I have thought about putting a piece of grader blade across the thumb fingers to make it easier to pull out small trees etc. I haven't done it yet because I would like to make it removable. The fingers do come in handy for snapping long trees into shorter lengths.

Hey tootallTimmy, I think what would work great would be welding tooth shanks on to your tines and then using a couple of worn down bucket teeth you could weld an old ditching bucket blade or grader blade across the teeth allowing you to remove it when you like. I like that brush rake you have, have you ever used it for doing demolition work? I'm working on an old three story wood frame building and all the brick has to be left behind as it's the backfill for the basement until the owners have enough money to dig a new basement for the new building. I've probably got a good week of loading out wood and related rubble and garbage. The rake would make it easier to separate out the brick.

Hendrik

Hey lads this is just the old hitachi leveling a farm house two weeks ago with the thumb...ignore the burning timber pile "nothing was being hauled out of the yard" so we just did what we were told:(
And we'll also ignore the fact that the person with the camera was in the work area of the excavator.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I found this a little while ago this guy sells kits and plans for backhoe attachments and for mechanical and or hydraulic thumbs, probably be a not bad idea for the guys with mini excavators.

http://www.cdp-backhoe.com/

rslengineering

Occupation
Managing Director of RSL Engineering
My business manufactures manual and hydraulic thumbs. The hydraulic versions have there own base plate so do not use the machines pin which overcomes the problem of attaching buckets. http://www.rslengineering.co.uk/thumb-grabs-grapples-and-attachments/. RSL is currently the largest supplier of thumb grabs in the uk. We do the muti tine wide thumb grab but we promote our single braced fork type as we believe it to be a lot stronger than wider versions without affecting the grab capability

The Peej

I'm amazed how many people put fixed thumbs on machines that are plumbed. Is it just a cost thing? I think the advantages of convenience and built in relief would far outweigh the slight increase in cost

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
What's all the extra piping for?? Can't a thumb and a breaker be used on the same line or do they require different psi?
Just curious