• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I start this business with my brother?

Would you use it?

• No - I wouldn't trust some tech I find over the internet, even if he works at a dealership

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No - I never run into problems I can't fix myself

• No - I'd rather just bring it into the dealer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sounds useful but $10 for 10 minutes is too much

• I'd give it a shot, my dealer takes forever and charges too much

• This is a great idea, I'd pay way more than $10 for expert advice sometimes

• Total voters
Hey y'all. My brother's a software guy and he wants to team up with me to build a website where you can video-chat technicians when you've got a question. It would be pretty cheap, like $10 for a 10 minute call

Mostly wondering - would you use it, if we made it? I know some great technicians who want to sign up, not like the garbage you see on JustAnswer.

I've always wanted to start a company, if you think it's a good idea I'm gonna go ahead and do it

How will the "mechanics" have access to all the needed manuals/part numbers etc. for every specific machine???
It's a good question. I was thinking we'd buy one of each as we needed it, and once we've got one we can make it available to every tech, so as we grow we'd only need one copy of each manual

Joel59

Manuals are very expensive, and most machines require multiple manuals. Without a VERY extensive library to start with, I don't see how it can be any more effective than your typical backyard mechanic advice that your older neighbor/grandpa/cousin's uncle's friend gives you.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
$10 minutes for a $10 minute phone call is $60 an hour without turning a wrench, that's pretty good - no?
You are going to pay the tech full rate? You aren't making any money?
How are you going to be better than JustAnAnswer? They have some "great techs" as well. Dealer guys, ect

What defines a "great tech"?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, Jack.

This can be found in the Forum Rules: " A vendor of goods or services may create one introductory post or thread explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. "

Since you made a good faith effort to correct your spamming you get the benefit of the doubt. I removed the other threads to bring you into compliance. Also, it doesn't hurt that your idea has generated some discussion here, which, after all, is why we're here.

Carry on...

skyking1

First of all, $10 for 10 minutes of somebody who is skilled that's not going to fly.

You're under selling your service.
If you could get a guy like John c. Online for about $50 to get started that would be reasonable.
I'm not picking on you John. There are a whole lot of other people that are worth a couple hundred dollars an hour on the phone.

Arny L

What I see as a problem, is that even with top notch tech advisors, often times the people your trying to help have few to minimum skill sets, not to mention the thousands of dollars in tools and electronic equipment, it takes to repair modern equipment. As well as parts and wiring diagrams out the ying yang, for every manufacturer. Not to knock your ambition, but I would be looking for a different opportunity. Only my 2 cents.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
I remember at an old warehouse I used to work at my boss asked me to find 100000$ that was missing. Took me 3 hours 7 phone calls and multiple in person conversations with different co workers involved and searching the computer records. Nothing was wrong someone forgot to press a button.

I’ve also had it where someone pressed the wrong button and instead of going up they went down which through the magic of technology was the difference of ordering 1 vacuum cleaner to… 9999… which the next guy up the ladder approved because he didn’t read the sheet and added it to the pile. 4 people were fired and we got exactly one vacuum.

This is a bad business plan. Invest your money elsewhere. There is no connection.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Nobody listens anyway, happens all the time on here:

Rookie: I think my problem is the knuffler valve.

John C: No, you need to check your gidizzler pin first.

Rookie: I changed my knuffler valve and it didn't fix my problem, now what do I do??????

skyking1

Nobody listens anyway, happens all the time on here:

Rookie: I think my problem is the knuffler valve.

John C: No, you need to check your gidizzler pin first.

Rookie: I changed my knuffler valve and it didn't fix my problem, now what do I do??????
My engine is seized on my grader, what will it take to put in a different engine?
"put oil in the cylinders"
Do you think there is an SAE adapter? My engine is locked up;
"put oil in the cylinders, give it some time."
I barred it and it is seized.
"did you put some oil in the cylinders?"

crickets.

chidog

Software guy? A much better thing to do would be to make some real inexpensive, heavy truck and equipment scan tools, that do more than anyother that are offered now. If someone needs to know something from a manual, buying the manual is money better spent than asking someone else and paying them to thumb through a manual.
Along with the tool mentioned, rather than pay people to look at manuals, just pay the dues and offer access to the manuals online, for a small fee.