• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I lube the dry Backhoe pins?

CAT_D-8N

Occupation
genral operator
my 78 JD 310 A is set up the same way as well:Banghead thoght about takeing the links off drilling and taping holes for grees fittings just havent got to it:beatsme

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
my 78 JD 310 A is set up the same way as well:Banghead thoght about takeing the links off drilling and taping holes for grees fittings just havent got to it:beatsme

Would it not be easier to get a couple of through the pin, replacement pins.

CAT_D-8N

Occupation
genral operator
ya i supose but it dosnt see that much work so i dont relly wont to put to much munny at it

Iron Horse

You might have some fun drilling those pins , they will be as hard as ....

I was just looking at our 310D today and it doesn't have the grease fittings for the pins. It has started squeaking a lot in the last week. I guess I should pull the pins and grease them. It wouldn't hurt that is for sure.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Are you talking about them two smaller diameter pins on the hoe bucket that don't have grease fittings? And the other two pins that do have grease fittings on the hoe bucket are the larger diameter pin?

If this is what your talking about I keep a can of heavy weight motor oil hear by all the time so I can give them two dry pins a shot of oil once in a while to keep them from making noise.... I keep my machine out side so its a good idea that I oil them each time I use it, plus if your digging in the mud you need to keep oiling them...

Last edited:
Are you talking about them two smaller diameter pins on the hoe bucket that don't have grease fittings? And the other two pins that do have grease fittings on the hoe bucket are the larger diameter pin?

If this is what your talking about I keep a can of heavy weight motor oil hear by all the time so I can give them two dry pins a shot of oil once in a while to keep them from making noise.... I keep my machine out side so its a good idea that I oil them each time I use it, plus if your digging in the mud you need to keep oiling them...

If you were talking to me, yes those are the pins I am talking about. And it is stored outside during the non-winter months. The oil is a good idea. I found an oil can in the shop and that would work great for lubing up those pins.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
If you were talking to me, yes those are the pins I am talking about. And it is stored outside during the non-winter months. The oil is a good idea. I found an oil can in the shop and that would work great for lubing up those pins.

Last year while I was talking with someone in service at the John Deere dealer in Wallingford, the guy said that this was the thing JD did when this bucket was designed back in the day, which was to make them two pins replaceable for when they wore out.... It seems like it would be okay to do, depending how hard them sleeves are press fit in there....

sea_goin_dude

Iron Horse, good idea drilling the pin lengthwise and crosswise. The pin in the second pix with the center section expose, I'd make a sleeve of maybe water pipe, that would fit pretty tight lengthwise and drill it in center and put in a zerk fitting. If it fits pretty snug grease will probably be forced along the rest of the pin. Grease would be better than oil and it will also flush any grit, sand out and help prevent the pin from being ground away slowly. I'm sure these are hardened pins also. The grease fitting in the cylinder end is there to grease the cylinder bushing and will also grease the pin.
You might check with a few dealers and find pins with the same diameter etc WITH GREASE FITTINGS.
My question as I am not familar with these tractors....... are the bushings for these pins replaceable????? Just wondering. I worked on a lot of industrial equipment over the years and figure they are possibly replaceable.

I will try to find manual on tractors and see what I can come up with.

jeff112

I agree they should be there from factory,maby do too the geometry of the link travel that it moves, would not be enough to require a service zerk ,same with the front bucket link on a cat 416,just a thought. I too have dumped oil on them when they squeak.