• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shopping for a new undercarriage. What do you guys think?

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
I know it has been addressed a thousand times on here, but I'm still unsure what brand would be the best bang for my buck....I have a D4H right now that is soon due for a replacement undercarriage. I am currently running berco and I have had good service from this brand. I believe my current undercarriage is an extreme duty. I have been pricing around and Cat is way out of the park. Im interested in some other brands also like: berco, trek, itr or what ever else anyone has some recommendations to. Whats the pros and cons to any of these brands. I'm waiting on some price quotes from Heavyquip and Boyd & Sons right now. Anyone delt with these guys on their undercarriages? Heavyquip has been great to me so far with my cutting edges and ground engaging replacements. Thanks for all your help guys......

Duramax

We just put a set of ITR on ours about a month ago. We also had berco on ours, we ended up going with the ones they put on the d5m because we kept breaking links, after we did that we were happy with the berco. We gave 8,500 for complete undercarriage less grousers.

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
We just put a set of ITR on ours about a month ago. We also had berco on ours, we ended up going with the ones they put on the d5m because we kept breaking links, after we did that we were happy with the berco. We gave 8,500 for complete undercarriage less grousers.

Yeah that sounds bout right, I got a quote today of ITR complete for $10,400. Cat said that the one I have on now appears to be an extreme duty set, that might help explain why i have gotten so many hours out of it. Don't know how many it had on it when we got the machine but we've put 4500 hrs on it ourselves. What's your opinion on the ITR? Does it look to be good quality? I know you have only had it for a month so im sure theres no telling about the reliability and wear yet.

Duramax

We also have a set on a john deere 650G and in the process of putting a set on a komatsu 220 excavator. Have not checked up on the 650G lately, it was put on two seasons ago with no problems so far, but it probably only has a 1,000 hrs tops. The guy we buy from seems to be a reputable guy that has his own machines, so we gave them a try. A neighbor of ours is running a set on a komatsu 65xw, he had trouble with the bottom rollers but they replaced them at no charge and said they had trouble with the komatsu but it seemed to be just a bad batch. The machines we have put it on are not being operated every day of the season not sure if i would want to put it on one of our bigger machines, but also could'nt justify 15,000 on these older low use machines.

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
We also have a set on a john deere 650G and in the process of putting a set on a komatsu 220 excavator. Have not checked up on the 650G lately, it was put on two seasons ago with no problems so far, but it probably only has a 1,000 hrs tops. The guy we buy from seems to be a reputable guy that has his own machines, so we gave them a try. A neighbor of ours is running a set on a komatsu 65xw, he had trouble with the bottom rollers but they replaced them at no charge and said they had trouble with the komatsu but it seemed to be just a bad batch. The machines we have put it on are not being operated every day of the season not sure if i would want to put it on one of our bigger machines, but also could'nt justify 15,000 on these older low use machines.

I still have a couple to check on yet but I really appreciate the info!

farmin

for some reason i cant post a new thread but i am also looking for a new undercarriage for my d5h lgp was quoted $14,000 from cat i do all the labor which is fine. does this seem like a good price?

tj_farmer

Farmin, you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread. its like 3 or 5 i think, it keeps the spamers down. on your price, what does that all include?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Farmin, you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread. its like 3 or 5 i think, it keeps the spamers down. on your price, what does that all include?

That's correct tj_farmer, a new member has to have 3 posts before being able to start a new thread because it does help keep the spammers out.;)

Welcome to the Forums farmin!:drinkup Post two more times and you will be able to start a new thread.:)

farmin

Thanks for the info.

That's a quote for complete new chain assemblies with pins and bushings, sprocket segments, all new rollers including carrier rollers and mounting caps, and the idlers welded up. My pads are In decent shape. I can get the parts for around 14,000. Got a quote from Berco for 15,800. Thinking on pulling the trigger on the CAT stuff

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
for some reason i cant post a new thread but i am also looking for a new undercarriage for my d5h lgp was quoted $14,000 from cat i do all the labor which is fine. does this seem like a good price?

tj_farmer, that sounds really reasonable coming from cat. Its not cat classic is it? cat quoted me an extreme duty full set for just over 18000. Kinda high I thought since I can get an ITR for almost half that. And thats me doing everything as far as installation and assembly myself.

farmin

tj_farmer, that sounds really reasonable coming from cat. Its not cat classic is it? cat quoted me an extreme duty full set for just over 18000. Kinda high I thought since I can get an ITR for almost half that. And thats me doing everything as far as installation and assembly myself.

My cat right now has ITM chains omg junk. They don't even look bad on outside but every joint is dry and I'm breaking pins what a pita!!!

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
before you make your decision you might check with quicktrax on here or contact boyd &sons. I talked to these guys at a trade show and they were extremely helpful to me and the thousand questions I was asking them. This was about a year ago and at that time they were beating all the other prices I was getting. Im contacting them in the next few days to see what they can do. It's good to check all around and doing your homework on something like this can really save you some$$$$$$$.

farmin

ITM and not ITR right? Are they sealed and lubricated?

Yup ITM , they were lubricated at one point lol. Cat said they could sell me new pins and bushings but the tolerances on ITMs chain are so bad they would go dry again soon

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
Yup ITM , they were lubricated at one point lol. Cat said they could sell me new pins and bushings but the tolerances on ITMs chain are so bad they would go dry again soon

Yeah I wouldnt pour any more money in those either. Better start all over with another brand. Im still undecided really, i've heard pros and cons about all of them. Got berco now and had extremely good wear. I'll go back with them if I can afford the expense for them.

landworksTN

Occupation
Self-employed
If i find out anymore info during my harassing price check calling around, i'll let you in on it. lol

Well, it didn't go so well talking to boyd and sons this time like it did when I met them in person. The guy I talked to was an extreme jerk and wouldnt give me time to even tell him what I was looking for. I could tell he was, in a way, hurring me up like he was trying to get off the phone.lol. Our total conversation lasted maybe two minutes before he must have needed to go with a promise that he would call me back the next morning with an estimated cost. That was 4 days ago now, ha ha. Well anyway, im sure there is plenty of companies out there wanting a new customer.

Im interested on pricing a berco and trek full set of undercarriage if anyone knows of a helpful company out there that seems to have reasonable costs. The closer to TN the better although it's not a must since i'll have to be shipping it to me, thanks guys....and gals