• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

shop press

Randy88

Right now I've got a shop press rated at 20 tons, the frame is far heavier than what the cylinder can put out, I've been looking at other press's and mine would easily take a cylinder two to three times larger and still have plenty of safety margin to spare.

I'm needing a lot larger press, my question is this, is it worth buying a new cylinder and using my frame or buy a complete press assembly and sell my old one, which wouldn't bring much at best.

What brands are worth buying that will last and get seal kits for the cylinder and repairs decades from now, or where do I get a cylinder for mine I could hook to my port-a-power electric unit I could adapt to put into a press situation, with a long cylinder stroke?

How large and what brands of H frame press's do you guys use and like and would recommend?

Old Doug

I have built 3. The first one was at school in the ag shop out of truck frame rails i didnt like it because of the slopy workmanship so i sold it and built another out of 6inch pipe. I didnt like it and sold it to a buddy. At the same time the place i worked part time got 2 very small presses made of 2 inch angle iron. I used one of these until it was sold. Then built the one i have today out of 3/4 by 3 flat steel. It has a 18 stroke and is around 50tons. It has a electric pump with a 2 way cylinder. The very most important thing i put on it is a winch to move the table up and down. I would never own a press with out a winch. Unless you find a used drake or some other good brand they are very high. There are some good looking cheaper ones but i dont think they hold up to useing them every day. My labor is cheap the cylinder was used and the pump was given to me so building one was the only way to go.

nowing75

We have a 75 ton dake at work that's electric pump and I have a small 20 ton at home with just a bottle jack. I would keep an eye out on eBay and Craig's list. Love the 75 ton

SE-Ia Cowman

Randy I have been getting ready to build one for a year and haven't got around to it yet, Gray products sells a nice unit, they are mfg here in the us. They have quite a few options for cylinder, and pump air over hydraulic, or electric over hydraulic, I priced a 75 ton last year and they wanted around $9000 that is when I decided to build one, I took some pictures and measurements from the big press at HE parts in Elkhart IA, they have a scraper cylinder with 10" bore and 4' stroke mounted with a 2500 psi pump they used 4"x1.25" strap for the uprights and 1/2X15" channel iron for the table and top horizontal pieces, the press is rated at 100 tons and has a 5' Wide table that is 14" between the table. I really liked the 4' cylinder they hardly ever have to move the table.

Randy88

I've been pricing new top quality brands as well, not sure I can afford one of them either, so I'm either going to find a good used one or build one is about what it's down to. The nicest setup I've ever seen is in a private shop here, its anchored in concrete about 15 feet below the floor, has a 8 foot deep pit under the press and has room enough to climb down into the pit and walk around somewhat besides. I'd never seen one like it before or since, wished I'd seen it before pouring my shop floor or I'd have incorporated one into my shop as well, but enough of dreaming and reality sets back in.

Is there much difference between an ordinary cylinder with pressure ratings of 3000 psi or the port a power with ratings at 10,000 psi or when tons are calculated, its six of one half dozen of another as long as they cylinder and pump setup match each other?

Are most top H frames welded on or bolted, mine now is bolted and I always thought it would be easier to take apart and repair if things got bent or broken, but I've noticed most larger units are welded for some reason, but I thought it was to save time and cost to manufacturer.

I'll have to measure my table and head channels along with the uprights again to, right off the top of my head I don't recall what they are, I'll post those specs here and see what you guys think the largest cylinder I could safely put on my current frame.

Old Doug

I welded mine and havent had any problem but if i was building another i would bolt it because it looks like a good place for some kind of stress break. I think most high presser cylinders are alot heavyer built.