• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shop made equipment/creations?

1morepayment

I would like to see what shop made equipment others have built. We have all seen the big scraper and grader from Brent Engineering. Those are very neat accomplishments, but it doesnt have to be that elaberate, even just simple day to day items that makes your job easier or help get a job done faster. Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
View attachment 129425 here is one to lube a d5g throttle cable.

Did about the same thing on an old JD Grader. For mine I used a length of hose that fit tight over the housing thread and was long enough to have the inner cable inside the hose so no need to seal around it. Then filled with 10wt oil and hooked up to shop air pressure and left on overnight. Did not work like new cable but at least was able to shift with one hand after.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Fire pit is kinda trick...
Fella I know built one of of a D11 final drive hub group...
Super trick but super heavy.

rossaroni

I scabbed together a trommel screen for my compost operation using some rolled angle iron duct rings, and a hay elevator that was rusting away in a farmers field. Not pretty, but can put out about 80 yards of 1/4" screened compost an hour for a topdressing operation that a landscape buddy and I have started. For about $200 and my time, its all I need. Here's a pic of it coming together20140905_172409.jpg

And while i hope it never moves dirt, this was a 5 year project that I took on with the help of a kegerator. Based on Ron Champions book " Build Your Own Sports Car ", its a Lotus 7 replica. 1200 pounds, 375 turboed rwhp. Aside from the drivetrain, this was entirely hand built. Here's a pic from the Ford Nationals at Carlisle before we were banned from the show
Ford Carlisle 059.jpg

rossaroni

Long version of the story...
The year the picture was taken, I finished 2nd in my field, behind the red cobra behind me. And rightfully so, that car was perfect.
I put in my online registration next year, and was called on by the show manager about two hours after I submitted my registration. He told me that the car wasn't really "ford" enough to be in the show.
I told him it was ford engined, ford transmissioned, ford reared. How much more ford do you need?
He told me that it wasnt something people would be interested in seeing.
I told him that I finished second in my field last year. Its a show field vote... If you entered a car, you get to vote. So they voted me to second place, even though they didn't want to see me?
He said that the car was never produced in a ford plant
I said neither were the cobra replicas next to me.
He says "but the originals were"
I says, nope, Shelby shoehorned a 289 into an AC Ace, which is not a ford car.
He finally just says that we could go round all day, but his answer is no.

I spoke with the guy with the Cobra that was behind me at the next years show, and he asked where my car was. I told him the story, and he said that a class member was very upset not to have placed, and he believed that he filed a grievance with the right person, and I was out.

So much for the show being "All things Ford"

bflobil

Occupation
Farmer, dirt work
welder.jpg
Here is a portable welding skid I built for myself. I can pick it up with my skid steer and put in the back of my pickup for field projects. The pack rat has all of my supplies.

nowing75

This is my ongoing project. Just finished up the top box for stuff not used often and mounted my led lights ressesed to trick it out a bitimage.jpgimage.jpg

ABruso

Occupation
Compost Owner/Operator
Here's a mixer wagon that we power with a dodge truck. Hooked a PTO shaft to the drive shaft out of the manuel transmission. Running the Dodge in reverse spins the mixer wagons PTO in the right direction. Mixer wagon discharges onto a conveyor belt.

Truck Conveyor.jpgDodge Mixer.jpg

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Please don't bat my ears about safety as I'm careful to not get under a heavy load, but here is my shop made version of an old style Autocrane. The turning base is a final drive from an Allis Chalmers cotton stipper on a pair of 1/2" plates sandwiching the bed for load distribution. The boom winch is 4500 lb, the hoist is a 3500 lb, and the turning gear is a 2000 lb which I cut one flange off of the spool and turned it down and hand keyed a sprocket onto it. It then turns the input shaft and can be disengaged to freespin. I don't plan to lift much over 1000 to 1500 lbs but it will pull the side of my Chevy 4500 down. Anything heavier and I'll take my skid steer or borrow a tractor and loader. I have maybe $300 in it and when a winch completely fails, I can get another from ebay for cheap. I have long wanted a truck with crane but didn't care to spend the $$$ and have found it to be as useful as any tool I have.20150312_194655.jpg20150312_194625.jpg

oarwhat

Please don't bat my ears about safety as I'm careful to not get under a heavy load, but here is my shop made version of an old style Autocrane. The turning base is a final drive from an Allis Chalmers cotton stipper on a pair of 1/2" plates sandwiching the bed for load distribution. The boom winch is 4500 lb, the hoist is a 3500 lb, and the turning gear is a 2000 lb which I cut one flange off of the spool and turned it down and hand keyed a sprocket onto it. It then turns the input shaft and can be disengaged to freespin. I don't plan to lift much over 1000 to 1500 lbs but it will pull the side of my Chevy 4500 down. Anything heavier and I'll take my skid steer or borrow a tractor and loader. I have maybe $300 in it and when a winch completely fails, I can get another from ebay for cheap. I have long wanted a truck with crane but didn't care to spend the $$$ and have found it to be as useful as any tool I have.View attachment 132479View attachment 132480

I'm not going to preach safety but I'd worry about that breaking just above the bolt circle. I don't think it's made to take that kind of side loading. It's definitely thinking outside the box.!! I bet it works great!!!