• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shields Polycarbonate Windscreen

CammoCase

Hello from Australia,
Have recently purchased a 2020 Takeuchi TL10V2 and a mulcher and need to get a poly windscreen for it.
There are no local options over here for "off the shelf" - they're all custom made to order where you remove your door and send it to them, they use it as a template to cut/shape a door and then send it out.

I haven't enquired with Shields if they ship internationally yet - but if they do; I'm looking for anyone who has or had one and feedback on it - did it fit straightforward? Or did it require excessive stuffing around? Did it seal? Does their "Supercoat" make a difference to lifespan/scratch resistance? etc etc.

Don't want to go through the exercise of shipping on from the U.S of A only to find out it's no good.

Ay and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Legdoc

Have you tried a local glass shop? I have cut 1/2" polycarbonate with a jig saw and table saw. For a sales display I made a box with hinged lid and polished edges screwed together. It's no big deal to work with. I work with a lot of plastics. Give me the size and thickness and I will get a wholesale price in Texas for morbid curiosity sake.

CammoCase

Hi Legdoc,
The glass shops are the ones who want a week to make it due to workload etc.
The thickness will be 1/2in. I'm not near the machine to get the other dimensions. The original door is glass and not as thick, so it is my understanding that the polycarbonate door needs the edges that accept the frame milled down.

I have spoken with Shields - they do ship internationally. The windscreen is cheaper from then when converted to Australian dollars than buying locally - it'll be the international freight that becomes the deciding factor.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have two doors from Shields and a buddy of mine has two as well. The one I use for mulching is .5" thick. I have no complaints.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Another way off doing this is to make a frame then fit a flat sheet of lexen onto that, the bolt the frame onto the door over the existing windscreen. A peace of lexen that size could cost 150 bucks, the frame a lazy 50 if you do it yourself. When you're not mulching take the screen off.