• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sheet Piling?

fensoncont.

Hey guys,

I have a few questions on sheet piling work. I have seen it bid per FT and I have seen it bid as SF. When I saw it bid per FT the contractors were between $1900-$2100/FT. That price included excavation, tiebacks, backfill etc. I have also seen it bid as SF, in the case I saw the price range from $14-$17/SF. When I have seen sheet piling being done an excavator was utilized. My understanding is that a crane can be used as well?

I know a lot of this depends on the size of the piling and probably the depth? What kind of production is achieved with sheet piling? How are the sheets connected to each other? If anyone can give me any more information on the overall work it would be greatly appreciated. Also, any comments on the cost of those examples are appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, it's got a lot to do with pile size/length and depth your going to beat it into the ground. If it's long pieces, your going to need a crane. Also, the best tool to use for long pieces, especially if you have to pull them back out, is a vibratory hammer. It will do both. This is all high dollar stuff though.

Northart

Sheet Piling Education ?

Hello Atlas Rob,

I've been around enough, to see good jobs and screwed up ones.

There is lot of technical stuff to know, before getting into it. The selection of the right equipment for the job. How to deal with the unknown geological conditions when you encounter them.

Seen sheet piles, blown out at the bottoms,not driven in deep enough , curled out,in,sideways,etc., when they hit an obstruction,like boulders,old piling,etc.

The hidden dangers also, of underground utilities !

Seen a beautiful closed cell sheet job, where they "marry up" the last missing piece and everything fits perfect.

Piling is a the work of pile bucks and their trade.

The diesel hammers is the ones I like to hear . Thud, thud , thud ! :) LOL Like an old Witte !

There's hydraulic or impact ?? hammer also. Not exactly sure how to describe it. Been many years ago.

The vibratory ones drive you nuts with the shrill noise. :(

There's a lot to it.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hello Atlas Rob,

I've been around enough, to see good jobs and screwed up ones.

There is lot of technical stuff to know, before getting into it.
There's a lot to it.

If you are doing estimating for piling work you need to factor in your engineer's costs. As the wise one above says the is lots more to it before you drive that first sheet. Depending on the location, Geo reports, risk assessments, work procedures all add up to costs. If men are going to be working in or below your sheet piled caison there is a lot of risk involved. Any sizeable job will require a properly trained engineer from woe to go....and that all means more costs.

Just recently the cowboy sheet pilers up the coast a bit killed a guy. They had no engineering and no approvals and, above all, they didn't have a procedure. That company is going to be in court for years. When the State has finished with them the civil action will break the company.

I never estimate piling until I have an engineers specification for the loads. When I have these and the Geo report it goes off to two local companies for quotes. I'm lucky because my local engineer went off on a three week course to get fully qualified on sheet piling and he can do pretty good "estimates" but I never use these in a bid as anything other than an estimate until I get my quotes.

The last job I did was $32K for 16 metres of 3.4m high piling. This included some soil stabilisation injection. Then there was $4K for the engineer plus a whole lot of my time getting it through the City Council.

fensoncont.

Thanks for the help guys, I've been looking around on this site, there is a lot of information on there.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
There is a Trade Paper out of Florida called Pile Buck, They have a whole library on sheet pile. I always use a sq. ft. price I have excavator mounted pile vibro. I don't do anything without a soils report. There are Z pile and Larsen type. This work requires experience much more than someone drawing up plans. I have to add thing that are obvious to me but over looked by engineers. We are only required to have a stamped drawing at 20 feet or deeper. I also do a lot of beam and plate shoring.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Pile driving and sheeting work is not an art, but at the same time it can look very bad if done incorrectly. Sea walls are permanent structures that MUST look good as they will be there for all to see forever! The pile drivers I have worked with in the years I have done the work, take a lot of pride in the work they do.They are the hardest working bunch I have ever worked with as well. The mud, the water, the long hours, the torches, the welding leeds, the loftsman....toughest in the field!