• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Settling in to a new job

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
How long did it take you guys and gals to settle into and get comfortable at a new job? I just started at a new job and holy geeze its an adjustment. All the construction equipment and processes are new to me and its a bit overwhelming. Hoping I'll get into the swing of things in the next couple weeks.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
2 ways to play it.. keep to yourself & let them come to you.. or start asking questions & get to know the people.. Once u start asking questions & opening up, folks will get a feel for ya..
Just remember, they're sizing u up too..
Just DONT say> that's not the way WE DID IT @ such & such.. &/or.. "When I worked at" such & such..
cuz like most jobs, everyone would like to be somewhere else.. & u reminding them that there is somewhere else to go.. pizz'z everybody off.. lol

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I feel for ya, I might be in the same boat very soon (Field Service Generator guy to shop all around equipment guy). Should be a bit of a learning curve.

Advice I can give over years of job hopping is: Don't get involved in or be the reason for any drama/ego, be open to learn the way THEY do things, and buy don't borrow. If you do your job right, they'll quickly forget you're the "new guy" and probably start assuming you know more than you do, which is a whole new PITA.

Just DONT say> that's not the way WE DID IT @ such & such.. &/or.. "When I worked at" such & such..
cuz like most jobs, everyone would like to be somewhere else.. & u reminding them that there is somewhere else to go.. pizz'z everybody off.. lol
Hey, sometimes it helps the guys with the "grass is always greener" mentality to hear it's the same ****-show at the competitor, haha.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Out of curiosity, what are the main differences from your old job to the new job?

Equipment is much bigger. I went from working on small generators and compact construction equipment to large stuff like dozers and rock trucks. Just feel really out of my comfort zone, which is good I guess. I was getting pretty stale at the last place.

Vetech63

Equipment is much bigger. I went from working on small generators and compact construction equipment to large stuff like dozers and rock trucks. Just feel really out of my comfort zone, which is good I guess. I was getting pretty stale at the last place.
I was the same way when I was young. I went from a small equipment rental company to a Terex dealer. Its uncomfortable at first but give it some time and patience. You will be happy you made the change I bet in no time.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I was the same way when I was young. I went from a small equipment rental company to a Terex dealer. Its uncomfortable at first but give it some time and patience. You will be happy you made the change I bet in no time.

Pretty much what I just did. Rental shop to a dealer. Definitely a lot of processes and stuff to learn when it comes to warranty and product updates.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Funny, that's what I'm hopefully headed into to get out of the service truck life ...at least for a bit.:rolleyes:

Crazy. I wanted to get out of the field too! I can't handle this -30 crap anymore. Last job only paid field $1.50/hour more than the shop. Not worth it for dealing with the elements, customers, HoS, DOT etc.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Crazy. I wanted to get out of the field too! I can't handle this -30 crap anymore. Last job only paid field $1.50/hour more than the shop. Not worth it for dealing with the elements, customers, HoS, DOT etc.
I'm just South of you and the majority of the work has been up to the Canadian border in the Idaho panhandle and all across Montana (all the way to working in North Dakota for a run). Of course, I ended up for part of this last summer working in Nevada and Utah in 110°F+ with no shade, but I'll take that over digging out of a snow drift on top of a mountain with a pistol on my hip, the sun going down, and keeping an eye out for bears/moose/wolves/cats/etc.

The couple bucks an hour cut in pay to be in a climate controlled shop and getting to be home with the wife and dog every night (and not on call) is going to be a whole new world.

We'll see how long I last before wanting to get back into a truck...;)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Pretty much what I just did. Rental shop to a dealer. Definitely a lot of processes and stuff to learn when it comes to warranty and product updates.

When I jump into a new product line and they dump 1000 PDF files on me. They contain all the parts and service bulletins for the last 20 years. If I had been working on these things for the last 20 years reading one bulletin a day on my coffee break as they were issued I might be as smart as some of the old timers. But having to somehow absorb and process all this "stuff" in this day of electronic everything is overwhelming.

You just know one of these bulletins contains the magic answer to whatever your strange problem is, but no way to access it.

crane operator

I taught my boy to drive a stick shift pickup this fall. He'd been in a stick before, but just around the shop yard, not as his everyday driver. It was really hard for him at first (he's 17- senior in high school), and I told him, give it a month. In a month's time, all the initial morning driving to school and worrying about killing it at a stop sign jitters, will be gone. But to really be comfortable- to be at the point that you don't even think about shifting when you are driving- its going to take around a year.

I think changing jobs is much like that. The closer the new job is, to what you were doing in your old job- the less time it takes. In a month's time, it will be somewhat routine. In a year's time you won't be thinking about it being the "new" job -except rarely.

Welder Dave

I think just be friendly and willing to watch and learn how they do things. I worked in a tank shop and the older guy rolling shells always insisted I came to help him fit and weld the shells and then "bump" them after welding to flatten the welded part. A lot of people thought he was crabby but I learned not to get ahead of him. I knew we'd need a jack so I asked him if I should get the jack from the tool crib. I always made sure to let him run the operation instead of being gung ho and trying to get a head of him. I felt it was a big compliment he always came to me to help him. He told me I was the hardest worker in the shop.

He had some pull in the shop too. They added another 10 ton overhead crane and the control was too big to hold in one hand so you couldn't steady anything you had to move. Management said no to several people complaining about the huge control. He used it once, said he refused to use that crane and it was changed the next day!. There were 3 cranes in the shop so it could really hold things up when the rolls were near the back of the shop and he wouldn't use the end crane. That meant if they had to move a skid or vessel in the fabrication area with 2 cranes they couldn't until he was done.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Congrats on the new job 92U;). And you will stay warm now:D You said it is a dealer? May I ask what manufacturer? We may need advice on that brand.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
When I moved from trucks to HE it helped to just run through the machines and get familiarized with the components I already knew. Trace out a fuel system, the set up on a giant loader needs all the same things a little compressor needs. Once you've dialed in that whole list of things you already know, then you can start checking out the components you truly have never encountered before.