• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

servotransmision overheat in a xcat 980g 2

Ross

Change the oil and report back mate. Could be an Oil cooler maybe. This prolem should be addresed by the mechanics on site. Coal mine? Coal silo station?

Nige: I was on a WA1200 the other night in the Breaker pocket, It had so much coal on it I couldnt get up the stairs, Only gets a rad wash on PM's ... Never overheats during the summer.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From what little experience I have of 980G II (824G actually but the engine & powertrain are the same) I get the impression that the cooling system is right on the limit in "normal" conditions, so maybe 40 DegC ambient temperatures are enough to make the straw that broke the camel's back. Hence the suggestion of the "little things" like making sure the hydraulic fan motor is turning at full speed (early model 992G anyone?), the radiator is clean both internally & externally, and that the correct coolant is in the system. If the radiator is not producing the correct temperature drop from inlet to outlet then the transmission is never gonna get cooled correctly.

I need to look at the transmission system operation as well, because the O&M Manual for this model states that SAE50 TO-4 is not recommended for ICM transmissions. I'm not sure if that's the type of tranny the 980G II has installed. If it is an ICM then it needs to be using SAE30 TO-4 oil.

Last edited:

Ross

Ah, I had a 980G II Going in Ghana (Glad when they shipped it out) It never overheated in the tropics, Basically I think the engine would overheat before the Tranny.

Like its been said, Try some new oil in it.

The pocket loader aint over heating and its working in the most appaling conditions, Currently using a set of airfilters a shift (Same as the 994 when on duty) Thats Dust.

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
If the machine is turned up at all that will make the torque converter and engine build more heat.