1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Service truck referb project

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by DefenderHD, Mar 9, 2019.

1. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    I’ve pondered the idea of ordering a new Pete with a 14’ Brutus body to replace my current 2008. But I can’t justify spending the 250k plus. So I’ve decided to refurbish the one I have. I will post pictures of the project as often as possible.

Attached Files:

td25c and RZucker like this.
  2. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    I have removed all door seals, drawer packs and started with wiring. I can’t remove to much wiring as I am still using the crane. To remove the welder, rear cover and the old used oil tank.

Attached Files:

RZucker likes this.
  3. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    I am cutting the original cover mount rails back to accommodate a big fuel tank, waste and fresh oil tanks. Then I am going to put a “firewall” and still have a 8’ covered storage area with a cargo roll out bed.

Attached Files:

4. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    I removed the welder from the rear and mounting it where my air compressor unit was. I am also going to a Miller airpack combo instead of having a diesel driven air compressor as well as a welder. Less engines to service and keep running the better.

Attached Files:

5. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Got it all cut out. Ready to test fit the diesel tank.

Attached Files:

6. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Ready to start plumbing fresh oil, oxy/acet, air and power to the compartment above the wheel well on drivers side.

Attached Files:

7. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    That's not a refurb, that's a remodel! Well thought out. Sounds like real judicious use of space.

8. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Nice - can't wait to see the finished product.

9. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Should hijack ultimate service truck thread when you're done. 08, what level of emissions you at, DPF&EGR?

10. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Thanks for the comments. I purchased the truck 3 years ago and did a bit of work to it then. I always wanted to do more to the body but I either didn’t have time or the truck was working. So finally I decided if I take it apart it would just have to get finished.

The truck is a 2008 with a pacar PX-8. It did have at one time EGR and DPF but being that I am in Alberta it’s all removed and back to TIER zero

I am spending endless time looking online on what colour to go with. I have one in mind but I am not sure if I will like it forever. I would like something that stands out from the rest. Any pictures of some neat trucks would be appreciated.

Cheers

11. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Have you checked out the thread, "ultimate service truck " lots of cool rigs. Lots of good ideas. Some guys getting more done with flat beds and job boxes than I ever imagined. Lots of different paint schemes too, of course basic white is prevalent

12. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

You should paint it pink and show your support for healthy boobies. The women would be lining up for you. ;) I have thought about doing it myself!

funwithfuel likes this.
  13. DefenderHD

DefenderHD Active Member

Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Haha can’t say I’ve thought of painting it pink. I did check out ultimate service truck. There are some very nice service trucks out there.